Chapter Twenty Three: Puppy

"How are you feeling?" Jacob asked, holding my hand as we walked back to his house.

          "Good. I feel a lot better," I said.

          "I'm glad. I think my hair is longer than yours now," he said with a smirk.

          "Reckon I'm still good-looking," I snorted.

          "I do love you, Juliet," he said and kissed my hand that he was holding.

          I smiled and walked closer to him, "I love you too, Jacob. Very much."

          He and I stopped by a shop to pick up some groceries. As we carried it to his house, some of the children ran to us while kicking a soccer ball.

          "Jake! Jake!" they said cheerfully while kicking the ball to him.

          "Hey!" he said with a laugh and kicked the ball back to them, "Any news from Sam?"

          "Yeah! The witch was sighted but they chased her out!" a little boy said and started to juggle the ball on his knees.

          "Jake, is she your mate?" another boy asked as he took my other arm and hopped around me.

          "M-Mate?" I asked, turning red.

          "She sure is! Hey, why don't you all check on the cliffs?" he suggested and pointed in the direction of La Push.

          The boys shoved each other and kicked the ball as they all ran towards La Push.

          "Cliffs?" I asked.

          "Trust me, your mom is lucky she only found out about the mud wrestling," Jacob laughed and continued our walk to his house.

          "Am I your mate? Is that what you call a girlfriend?" I asked nervously.

He laughed loudly, "It sounds old fashioned but that is my intention. After all, wolves mate for life. That is my intention with you. I don't want a future without you in it by my side."

          I smiled and kissed his cheek, "I feel the same way. I haven't felt this way about anyone else. Don't call me your mate around Billy or my dad."

          "Then can I call you puppy? I think it sounds cute," he teased and started to jog ahead of me.

          I was flustered and chased him, "Jake! You wouldn't dare!"

          We were like kids again, teasing and chasing after each other. It melted away any doubts or unnecessary stress I had. Billy was waiting for us and he seemed upset. Not long after we came in, Billy needed to take me to Sam and his pack near the edge of the reservation. Bella was reported missing. Jacob drove the truck with me in the bed with Billy's wheelchair because Billy was in the passenger seat. Billy was going to leave me with Sam and the pack because Jacob and Billy needed to get my truck from the Cullens house. They were going to bring one of the pack members with them to drive it back here. I felt uneasy about being left with Sam but Jacob boldly kissed my forehead before he left. I sat among the pack but felt alone.