Chapter Twenty Seven: Window

"Vlad?" I asked and opened the front door.

          "Christ!" Vlad yelled and barged in, "I told you to call me when you were safe!"

          "I wasn't! I am now and I tried to call! How did you even find me?" I argued and kept him near the front door.

          "Your scent is stronger than before. Oh, did you cut your hair?" he asked and went to touch it.

          I let him and noticed he was a little taller than me and his hair was very long, almost covering his eyes entirely, "I did. James's mate is still hunting me but James is dead. I'll be alright."

          "Mm," Vlad hummed and looked at my neck, "I came all this way to check on you so I want something in return."

          I leaned my head to expose my neck, "I understand."

          "Such a good girl. Obedient. Like a puppy?" he teased, his eyes glowing purple.

          I blushed and whimpered when he bit into my neck, "I-I said stay out of my head, sucker."

          He exhaled a laugh and pulled back from my neck after taking a few gulps from my neck, "It'll heal in a couple hours. I better go. Getting here was easy, but going back is another story. I'll call you later."

          I waved at him and he left. His voice wasn't a dream then. Oh well. Nothing I could've done about it at the time. I rubbed my neck and resumed cleaning the kitchen while waiting for my dad to come home. By the time I finished folding towels and putting my laundry in the dryer, he pulled up in his cop car. I went out to greet him and he looked tired.

          "Hey, Dad," I said, "welcome home."

          He came in and put his arm over my shoulders, "Hey, Julie. Thanks. Wow, did you do all of this?"

          I smiled and put his plate at his seat at the table, "I went grocery shopping. Was work hard today?"

          "Yeah," he said and started eating, "that Isabella girl was being rebellious and is probably more clumsy than you. She's back in Forks in the hospital after a fall in a hotel. Billy called me at the office and told me that they hunted a bear on their reservation after you left. Carlisle examined it and confirmed it to be the animal responsible for Tyler's and the security guard's death. I haven't filled out so much paperwork in a day. How's the truck?"

          "Hm?" I hummed while washing dishes, "It runs perfectly now. I'm glad everything was sorted out. Is the steak ok?"

          He chuckled, "You can relax, Julie. It's perfect. Why don't you call it a night? You look tired."

          I dried my hands and nodded, "I'm glad. I'll shower first then."

          I went upstairs and got a change of clothes to shower. My room was stuffy so I opened my window to let some fresh air in. A house plant would look good in my room. Maybe I can put a planter on my windowsill. As I showered, I thought of various fruits and vegetables I could grow and imagined an aquaponics system in the backyard. When I came out of the shower, I got my clothes from the dryer and brought them to my room to fold and put away. Towards nightfall, I wished my dad goodnight and told him I love him before closing my door and falling onto my bed. I missed Jacob. A shadow crept on my wall and I realized someone was coming into my window again. I grabbed my pillow and rolled over to throw it but stopped when I realized it was Jacob.

          "My love!" I blurted out.

          He grinned and closed the window behind him, "Hey, puppy."

          I blushed profusely and got out of bed to hug him. However, he was already a little taller from this morning and I had to stand on my tiptoes to wrap my arms over his shoulders. He suddenly picked me up in a front piggyback and kissed me. I moaned in surprise and he was pressing me against my bedroom door. I heard the lock click and he started to carry me to my bed.

          "Am I really your love?" he whispered as he started to kiss my neck.

          I shuddered and exhaled a moan, "Yes. Ah, my neck is sensitive."

          He stopped suddenly and he put me on my back, "What is on your neck?"

          I stopped breathing and the blood drained from my face, "J-Jacob, it's not like that."

          He kicked off his shoes before spreading my legs with his and he held my shoulders, "Tell me, quickly."

          "I-It was my friend from Hawai'i. H-He was just checking on me and needed some of my-mm!" I tried to explain but he started to make out with me aggressively.