Chapter Sixteen: Dravite

I smiled seeing Jacob and there were butterflies in my stomach. It was always like this around him. Sure, we kiss and cuddle, but I am always so shy when he smiles at me. He's so handsome. They pulled up and parked in our front yard. Afterwards, Jacob got Billy's wheelchair from the bed of the truck for him.

          "Now," Billy said as Jacob pushed him, "why was that Cullen boy here?"

          "Giving me his condolences about Tyler," I lied.

          Jacob tossed a heavy paper bag on Billy, "I told you it was nothing."

          "Is that what I think it is?" I asked eagerly as my dad pulled up in his car on the street where he parked.

          "Harry Clearwater's homemade fish fry," Billy said with a smile and tossed it back to Jacob.

          "Vitamin R," my dad said as he walked up from behind holding two six packs of R beer.

          "Well done, Chief. You kids going to behave? Jacob wouldn't stop talking about you," Billy teased as my dad put the beers on his lap to push him in the house.

           "Thanks, dad," Jacob groaned while blushing.

          I blushed and smiled while looking at my feet, "Yeah, we're just going to be in my room."

          "With the door open. Wide open," my dad growled while aggressively pulling Billy up the porch stairs backwards.

          "Dad," I whined, "I said I would! Please stop."

          Billy chuckled and Jacob adjusted his beanie while following me inside. Today was the first football game of the season and Billy wanted to watch it on our flatscreen now that they could leave the reservation. Jacob had to drive and I was happy that he was over again. It has been a while since he last visited. With the 'animal' still on the loose, I couldn't stay out as late because my dad still worried about it. When Jacob and I reached my room, he gravitated to the arrowhead necklace I bought on my dresser.

          "Why was Cullen really here?" he asked bluntly.

          "Some news, actually. I wanted to tell you once you got here but I didn't want Billy to be suspicious," I said and took off my jacket to put it in my closet.

          "What news?" Jacob asked, now standing behind me.

          I tilted my head back and leaned it on his chest since he was much taller than me, "It's about Tyler. It wasn't an animal that killed him. There's a vampire coven and they most likely killed the security guard from the county next door. I don't know if they've moved on from here yet. We haven't heard anything."

          He bought my necklace up in front of me, "I'll spread the word. The reserve hasn't interfered yet. We might be able to lend a hand in the investigation."

          I felt myself getting red and he put my necklace on me, "Will you be involved?"

          His hand brushed against my collarbone to hold the pendant in his open palm, "That depends."

          I looked at the arrowhead, getting excited from his touch, "On?"

          He kissed the back of my head, "If anything happens to you. Do you know what this arrowhead is made of?"

          I blushed and shook my head, "No, but that reminds me of something I wanted to ask you."

          He dropped the pendant on my chest and took my hand to twirl me around, "What is it?"

          I clumsily spun and began to blush profusely, "Did you, uh, happen to be interested in going to prom with me? As my date? I-If you want."

          He turned red from his forehead down and laughed awkwardly, "I-I, well, yes. Y-You want me to go with you?"

          I laughed and kissed his cheek, "You're my boyfriend, aren't you?"

          He kissed my forehead, tip of my nose, and both cheeks while cupping my face in his hands, "I'm very happy to be. I still can't believe you're my girlfriend."

          I felt absolutely smitten and boldly kissed him, "Me, too."

          He kissed me again and tugged on my arrowhead, "This is made of dravite. Keep it on you. It's a strong crystal."

          We both jumped when my dad yelled from downstairs, "Both of you get down here! I changed my mind!"

          I groaned and turned to yell out my door, "We're coming!"

          We reluctantly went downstairs and watched the game with our dads. I didn't know why Edward wanted me to come over tomorrow but it must be important. Thankfully, Jacob was driving because Billy was very drunk at the end of the night. I pecked Jacob on the cheek before they left when no one was looking and I spent the night tending to my own drunk father. Just before I fell asleep after putting my dad in bed, my phone rang. It was Vlad.