Chapter Five: Cullens

Angela and Jessica both looked around and Angela smirked at her hands when she turned back around, "The Cullens."

          "Those are Doctor and Mrs. Cullen's foster children. They moved here from Alaska a few years ago. They keep to themselves cause, um, they're together. Like, together, together," Jessica gossiped softly as they came inside.

          The first pair was a gorgeous blonde girl and a masculine boy. Angela introduced them as Rosalie and Emmet. The second pair was a girl with short hair and the boy with her was holding her hand. Jessica introduced them as Alice and Jasper. However, the last one to walk in came in alone.

          My eyes fluttered to my plate as I poked my food with my fork, "Who's he?"

          Jessica exhaled a laugh, "That's Edward Cullen. He's drop dead handsome but nobody here is good enough for him."

          I laughed, pretending to not be interested, and ate the rest of my lunch. Mike came back, a little embarrassed and walked me to the last class of the day. It was biology and I introduced myself to Mr. Molina. I noticed Edward was already here and I stepped towards Mr. Molina to shake his hand. When I did, the fan was blowing on me towards Edward and his reaction was not what I was expecting. Half listening to Mr. Molina, I kept noticing Edward looking nauseous until he ultimately covered his nose and mouth.

          "Is that alright?" Mr. Molina asked as he walked away.

          Panicking, I followed him, "Huh? Oh, yes. Thank you."

          He led me to the empty seat beside Edward and waved his hand towards it, "This is Edward. Edward, this is Juliet Swan, our new transfer student. Make her feel welcome."

          Edward nodded but his eyes screamed dread. I started to smell my shirt and hair. Did I smell? Should I have showered after gym class? During class, Edward was distracting me because he seemed repulsed by me. When we were looking into petri dishes, he would slide them to me, as if he didn't want me anywhere near him. It was honestly starting to annoy me. Maybe..

          I purposely exposed my neck where Vlad bit me and looked at Edward, "I'm Juliet. You can call me Julie."

          His eyes immediately went to my neck and he rushed out of class as the bell rang. What am I thinking? I should change classes. I don't even need biology. I'm a junior so I should be in physics since I took biology freshman year. I huffed and grabbed my bag and headed to the registrar's office. To my surprise, it looked like Edward already had the same idea and was pleading to have his classes changed. When he realized I was there, he brushed past me as he left in a hurry.

          August 9, 2004: I spent more time with the friends I had made over the next week since Edward wasn't showing up anymore. However, one day in the parking lot, the rest of his siblings pulled into a stall in a large shiny jeep. Taking a deep breath, I approached them and was confronted by Alice.

          "Hi!" she said rather intimidatingly, "Can I, like, help you?"

          I gulped, "H-Hi. I'm Juliet Swan-"

          "I know," she interrupted.

          "I was just wondering if Edward was coming back to school. He's my partner in biology and this is his homework," I said as I handed her a neat pack of papers.

          "Oh!" she smiled and pried it from my fingers, "You're so cute. And.. Sweet?"

          I flinched and Jasper introduced himself while pulling Alice away, "How rude of us. This is Alice. I'm Jasper. They're Rosalie and Emmet. Thank you for your concern about Edward. We'll be sure to pass along the message. Good day."

          Before I could say anything, they briskly passed me and I stomped back towards Tyler's van where my friends were.

          "Woah," Tyler teased and threw some licorice at me, "look at you, babe. Taking on the Cullens?"

          I caught the licorice in my mouth, "I had homework for Edward. Mike, tell them."

          "Huh?" Mike stared at me for a second, "Oh! Yeah! Edward is her biology partner."

          We moved on to other topics and then went about our usual day. With winter approaching, it was getting far too cold for me and I kept having to bundle up, even at the expense of being teased.

          August 10, 2004: The next morning, I slipped on the icy stairs while I was heading out for another day for school.

          "Juliet!" Dad yelled as he ran to me from the driveway.

          "I-I'm fine! We don't have ice like this in Hawai'i," I said, embarrassed.

          He chuckled and pulled me up, "Well, good thing I got you new tires. Be careful driving out there. Black ice on the road is dangerous. Looks like a cold front is visiting but it should warm up next week."

          "I will," I said, "and you should be safe, too. See you tonight."

          "Always am," he said and left for work before I left for school.