Chapter Thirteen: Shopping

We walked back to the group holding hands and already announced our relationship, much to everyone's surprise. Although they asked about Edward, I was pretty happy being with Jacob. There was something about him that made me feel really safe and I could relax around him. That night, Dad almost had a heart attack when I told him about Jacob and I dating. He gave me a lot of rules now and ended up on the phone with Billy until it grew late. While he was on the phone with Billy, I went to my room after I showered to call Vlad.

          "Hey, babydoll. What's up?" Vlad answered.

          "What? Oh, uh, hey, Vlad. So I talked to my boyfriend in the Quileute tribe and he told me about the Cullens being vampires. I didn't say anything about you. What do you know about the Cullens?" I asked.

          He coughed on whatever he was drinking, maybe blood, "C-Cullens? They're old vamps. Too proper to be of any danger. I thought they were in Alaska, or something. Your boyfriend is one of those dogs?"

          "Hey!" I snapped, "That's their heritage! You sucker."

          He snickered, "Just be careful out there, sweets. Cullens aren't the only bloodthirsty ones. By the way, have there been any attacks in your town?"

          "No," I said, still annoyed, "but there was an animal attack in a county nearby. Only one."

          He paused for a bit, "Hm. Only one? That's probably an animal then. Especially if there haven't been any other attacks in the counties near you, or in your own county. Thanks for letting me know. Oh! Do the Cullens know that you know?"

          I flinched, "H-How did you-"

          He chuckled, "Right. Neck virgin. I can read your thoughts, here and there. It's harder with the distance. You should tell them that you know. Whatever you do, don't include the tribe. Got it?"

          "Aw," I teased, "you do care. Stay out of my head though, sucker."

          Before he could snap back, I hung up on him. I should tell them.

          January 7, 2005: The next day, it was sunny for the first time in months. Bella was looking around and Jessica started to tease her that the Cullens weren't here. Apparently, Dr. and Mrs. Cullen take their kids for recreational activities when the weather is nice like this.

          "Oh," Angela said, "I asked Eric to prom and he said yes!"

          I nudged her, "Told you!"

          "You bringing Jacob to prom? I mean, since you're dating and everything. Jacob and you make a great looking couple," Jessica asked.

          "Eh?" I blushed, "I-I didn't even ask yet. I sort of forgot."

          "Well," Angela said, "why don't we go prom dress shopping in Port Angeles? I'll drive and we can get dinner!"

          "I'll treat you all to dinner," I said happily.

          "Port Angeles? Can I come?" Bella asked.

          After school, Angela picked us up from our houses and headed to Port Angeles. Jessica, Angela and I found a dress shop and tried on dresses while Bella judged how they looked on us. About six dresses in, she lost interest and went to check out a bookstore in the area. Angela ended up getting a pretty light rose colored dress and Jessica got a bright pink dress that really made her boobs look good. I struggled between a chocolate brown dress and a midnight black one. The chocolate one was a single shoulder strap with a short flowing skirt. The midnight black one had an A-line princess scoop neck and the skirt layered.

          "I think you should get the brown one," Angela suggested.

          I nodded, "I think you're right. My hair is plenty black enough and my tan has been fading."

          Jessica found a brown arrowhead pendant necklace and tossed it to me, "It matches your eyes!"

          I smiled and paid for the necklace and dress, "Thanks. Should we shop around some more for shoes and clutches?"

          Angela clapped her hands together, "I didn't even think of that! We should!"

          We spent the next hours shopping for shoes, clutches, and jewelry to make our outfits complete. Before we knew it, it was getting close to sundown and headed to the restaurant while calling Bella. None of us could reach her but we were starving. We ended up eating without her and talked about possible themes for prom. Although we felt guilty about eating without her, we were surprised when we were leaving.

          "H-Hey," Bella said with Edward next to her as they approached us.

          "Bella, w-we were calling you! It's been hours!" Jessica said, a little shaken.

          I was a little jealous and didn't look at Edward. Why were they together?

          "We just ran into each other," he said softly as an explanation.

          "Oh, well, we were starving and had to eat," Angela said sheepishly.

          "I'm sorry," Bella said softly.

          "Julie, can I speak with you privately?" Edward asked directly.

          I blinked and Jessica and Angela swooped to grab Bella, "Actually, we're done with Julie but we need a word with Bella! Don't worry, we'll take care of Bella and take her home but you should take Julie home."

          Before I could say anything, Angela was parked nearby and was already getting my things from her car. Jessica was nearly shoving Bella into the backseat. I stood dumbly as Angela shoved my things into my arms. Edward tried to intervene but they insisted that they take Bella and that I should talk to him alone. They left just as quickly and I couldn't even argue with them. Edward stood beside me, just as speechless.