Chapter Twenty One: Love

I was still on his lap when he began to kiss me deeper. My voice escaped in soft moans as he shifted me to my back with him on top. His scent was overwhelming and smelled like pine needles, metal, and freshly chopped firewood. He almost tasted like caramel and I began to feel lustful, as well as a deeper attraction towards him. Suddenly, the front door swung open and loudly hit the wall. Jacob sat up quickly and we were now sitting up on his bed. I noticed a bulge in his jeans when he stood up as Billy's wheelchair was approaching his room.

          "Is he still being moody?" Billy asked once he got into the doorframe.

          I laughed awkwardly, "No. How did you manage to convince my dad to stay for a few days?"

          Billy sighed and looked towards the front door down the hallway, "Carlisle and I discussed a few options. Since you were playing baseball with them for some hours, we ran into you when you were coming back to town. Your truck broke down and we happened to be in the area. The truck needs 'repair' but we'll send you back when the threat is gone, sooner than later. The Cullens assured us that they'll take care of the vampires hunting you. However, we are still very proud of our tribe and if they cross our borders, we'll take care of them. Your school situation will be taken care of as well. What do you know of our tribe?"

          I nodded as I took in all this information, "All I really know is that your tribe descended from wolves. Your ancestors made a treaty with the Cullens when they hunted on your land. They wouldn't come back in exchange that you don't expose their secret."

          His face relaxed and finally noticed Jacob, who was rummaging through his dressers, "You'll be staying in Jacob's room. Jacob and I are going to be having some bonding time."

          "Hmph," Jacob scoffed, "don't take the credit. It was my idea. You wanted her to stay with Sam's pack but she doesn't know any of them there."

          "Sam?" I asked.

          Billy tossed the wooden whistle at me, "Blow it if you're in trouble."

          My eyebrows furrowed together in confusion but I didn't want to embarrass myself, "I will. I'm sorry for putting you all in danger. Thank you for keeping me safe."

          "Now, now," Billy said sternly with a smile, "we are all family here. I hear your mother calls you Moonbeam. The moon is how we record phases and cycles of time. Perhaps your presence here is a new phase in life. It surely made a difference in Jacob's life. I've never seen him want to be a man."

          "What are you smoking, old man?" Jacob barked defensively, his back still to us, "Let her sleep already. She's going to have a long day tomorrow."

          Billy chuckled as he rolled further down the hall. Jacob finally turned around and his hands were behind his back. I looked at the carved wolf in my hand as I rolled it in my palm. He sat on his bed behind me and put my arrowhead necklace around my neck.

          "You found it. I thought I heard your voice. When I.." my voice trailed off and I saw Victoria's black eyes flash in my head.

          "Hey," he said softly and hugged me around my stomach from behind, "you're safe here. I promise. Get some sleep, ok? We'll be at the end of the hallway. The bathroom is the first door on the left. Good night, Juliet. I love you."

          My heart skipped a beat and I turned to kiss his cheek, "Thank you, Jacob. Good night. I love you, too."

          He kissed me softly before he left and he left the door open. I was so tired that I just kicked off my shoes and fell on the bed. There was a window beside me and I looked outside to see Sam and his 'pack' around the fire. I kept the whistle in my hand and my head was noisy. Carlisle left me with the tribe. Even if I didn't form a strong friendship with Bella, I hoped that she was ok. Edward did seem to care about her since he was going to run off after Laurent mentioned our scents being like twins. I did trust Laurent. However, what were those creatures that made Victoria run? They were like massive bears. Maybe I had brain damage since she rammed my head into a tree trunk. Nothing was making sense. The whistle didn't even make noise. I shouldn't blow it now because then I'd be the girl who cried vampire. Like the boy who cried wolf. I looked at the fire and my eyelids grew heavy. Before I knew it, I fell asleep thinking about wolves.

          Juliet! Juliet! Damn, wake up! If you can hear me, you need to call me! If you don't, I'm coming to Washington! Juliet!

          March 16, 2005: I woke up and held my head. That was weird. It sounded like Vlad. As I sat up, rubbing my eyes, I looked outside and saw Victoria. My voice was stuck in my throat and I frantically looked for the whistle on the bed. By the time I brought it to my mouth, I looked up and she was gone. It was already bright outside and I was panting with my heart racing. My head is definitely not ok. I shakily brought the whistle down and tried to calm down. If I talked to Billy or Jacob about this, they would surely think I'm going mad. Jacob would think I'm a freak, too. I've already caused them stress and worry with me being hunted by vampires. What should I do?