Chapter Twenty Two: Phase

Not long after I woke up, I heard the father and son bickering from the end of the hall. I couldn't make out what they were saying so I looked out to the smothered fire and empty logs where Sam and his pack were last night. Footsteps approached and a very tired Jacob walked in but I don't think he realized his tent was pitched. I blushed and looked at the other wood in my hand.

          "Mornin' Moonbeam," Jacob yawned as he went through his dresser drawers, "did you sleep ok?"

          "Morning, Jake. I slept as well as I could, given the circumstances. Did you sleep alright?" I asked bashfully, trying to keep my mind from wandering.

          He started to change clothes, "Not really. You can borrow some of my clothes, if I can find my old clothes that don't fit me. After breakfast, I'm taking you around the reservation to get your injuries treated."

          I couldn't help but stare at him, "S-Sounds good. Um, are you comfortable around me?"

          He just pulled up his jeans when he realized his body was on display and threw his shirt from last night at my face, "I-I! It's-! I was just-!"

          I held his shirt against my face and I laughed into it, "Mhm."

          He clumsily rummaged for some clothes and also threw those on me, "Just get dressed!"

          I yelped as it landed on me and he quickly left, closing the bedroom door after him. I shut his curtains and began getting dressed. The khaki shorts he threw at me were too large and I rummaged through his dresser to find a smaller pair.

          "Juliet," Billy knocked on the door, "are you up? Have you seen-"

          "I'm here, dad. She's getting dressed. We aren't stupid," Jacob's voice came from the kitchen.

          "So sorry!" Billy yelled and they began bickering again faintly.

          I chuckled at the duo and got dressed. The shorts were a little loose and long, but they wouldn't fall off. All of his shirts were too big so I wore the one he initially threw at me. I opened the bedroom door but didn't go out because I left a bit of a mess in his room. By the time I folded and returned his clothes to where they belonged, Jacob came in and there was a faint smell of bacon around him.

          "Hey, you alright?" he asked with a concerned look on his face.

          I smiled and nodded, "I'm alright. Sorry for taking so long."

          He started to laugh and grabbed a hairbrush before sitting in the center of his bed, "Your bed hair is amazing."

          I blushed and sat in front of him, "Speak for yourself. It's wild. You left in a hurry."

          He cleared his throat, "Oh, hush. Let me know if I'm hurting you."

          "You aren't. My mum-" I cut myself off and staretd to worry about her.

          "Your mom would do this for you?" he asked as he brushed my hair.

          "Yeah," I said softly, "but she's across the ocean. I know she's safe. I'm worried about my dad."

          The back of his hands would make contact against my neck as he alternated hands holding the brush to brush my hair thoroughly, "Charlie will be fine. I'm relieved that you're here. Even if it is for selfish reasons."

          I quickly shifted to sit behind him, "My turn."

          He chuckled and I began to brush his long hair, "Thanks. This is a first for me."