Chapter Ten: Edward

January 2005: I received news that the library wasn't going to reopen until summer because of the weather. Storms were supposed to be rolling in and I was a little disheartened that I wouldn't be working for a while longer. I haven't heard from Billy or Jacob and I started to miss him. School resumed in the first week of January and the snow was melting quickly despite the cold temperature. Yet again, as I was leaving the house with Dad, I slipped on ice and fell again.

          "You alright?" dad asked as he helped me up.

          "I really hate ice. Will you be home for dinner?" I snorted and rubbed my thigh.

          "I bet. Your cooking is a lot better than your mom's. I'm going to be home late tonight. The county next door had a security guard attacked by an animal and I'm going to lend a hand," he said.

          I remembered that Washington does have wild animals, unlike Hawai'i, "Right. Be safe."

          "Always am," he smiled and got into his cop car.

          In the back of my head, Vlad's warning to me still lingered but I shook it off. Surely, it was an animal. I headed to school with conflicting feelings of whether or not to talk to Edward about it. The lot was full and I had to park near the entrance in the bottom corner. It started to rain again and I rushed into the building. The gloomy weather was bringing down my mood but Edward seemed a little more direct than usual. He initiated a lot of conversations during biology and I was starting to feel like he was watching me. I couldn't bring myself to ask him about the animal attack. The rest of the day went by mundanely and I put in my earbuds on the way to my truck after school. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I glanced over my shoulder to see Edward staring at me. He was by his car, at the opposite end of the lot. Annoyed, I put my music on full blast and went to unlock my door.

          Suddenly, I heard a car horn over my music. When I whipped around, Tyler's van was speeding right towards me. I froze and Edward grabbed me, covering me as he put up his hand to stop the van. We were both low to the ground and both of my hands were on his chest. His arm was around my waist, pulling me into him. I looked at his other hand in the dent of the passenger's door of the van. He.. He stopped the van and was able to reach me in seconds. H-How? I saw him across the lot. My eyes followed his arm towards his neck, and then his eyes. He quickly jumped over the bed of my truck, breaking eye contact with me, and I realized that the end of Tyler's van dented the back end of my truck. I would've been killed if Edward didn't save me. He saved me.

          "Juliet! Juliet!" my friends cried out as a whole crowd surrounded the accident.

          Mike comforted me and Jessica already had 911 on her phone.

          Tyler rolled down the passenger window and he was bleeding from the temple of his head, "J-Julie, I-I'm so sorry, babe. I-I panicked. I tried to stop."

          Everything was a blur but we ended up going to the same emergency room and we had our own beds next to each other. Tyler's parents showed up first and they were all apologetic. Tyler's van lost control over ice that the school was taking care of, now that they were aware of it. My dad burst through the doors and sighed in relief when he saw me.

          "Juliet," he rushed to me, barely noticing Tyler, "are you ok?"

          I nodded and Edward's scent still lingered on me, "I-I'm fine."

          "You and I are going to talk later," he pointed at Tyler.

          "Dad," I sighed, "I'm fine. Please calm down."