Chapter 31

Tobias POV
I made my way to the hallway and called tris to come, she could sense something was off about me so she said she'd hurry. I sit in the navy colored waiting chairs in the waiting room. I sit with my head in my hands, as if trying to push the tears back into my eyes. I don't really want tris to see me like this, crying and vulnerable, But deep down I don't care. "Tobias!" I hear tris call out. I turn my head and she runs through the doors. She rushes to my side but doesn't sit down, instead she crouches in front of me with her hands in mine.

They almost slip on the tears that had collected in them. "I'm so sorry." She whispers. Her eyes are stern but soft, making sure her point is across. Her eyes almost look glassy as if tears were going to come out, "Where's luca?" I ask. She shakes her head, "Don't worry about him." She says. Her hand holds my cheek and she moves her thumb back and forth, she drys some of the tears. "She's.. Really gone." I whispers. The words burn to say. "I know. I know." She coos. "I'm so sorry." She says.

She gets up and sits in the chair next to me, She takes my head and lays it on her lap. The chairs are connected so they make some sort of couch so it's easy to put my head in her lap. She plays with my hair lightly and tears slip and roll down my cheeks. I'm not worried about letting people see me like this because I don't care. Most people would be like this if their mother just passed away, then I realize tris understands. Tris knows what it feels like to loose your mother and dye right in your arms, your hands. I sit up and she looks at me.

"You know. You know the feeling." I say softly. She nods. "I'm sorry." I say. "Don't be." She says. "How?" "How what?" She asks. "How or when does it get better?" I ask. She looks down for a second then looks back up. "It's hard. You saw me at amity, how I beat myself up about it." She says. I nod remembering that, and how tris told me about seeing her mom in the simulations at erudite. "But it gradually gets better. And you have to surround yourself with people-" I cut her off. "Like you. People like you." I say. She smiles runs her thumb on my cheek again. "Yes." She whispers and I lay my head back on her lap.