Chapter 4: See You Tomorrow

We humans name our pets, but in their minds, what do they call us? We were merely twenty minutes into the drive and the silence was picking at my gut just as I was picking at the skin under my fingernails. I distracted myself by thinking of every question I could remember from my childhood and trying to think of a reasonable answer, with no luck. I tried looking at the scenery during the drive but only found I kept getting drawn to the driver's seat next to me. We did talk, short words and a series of nods and chuckles. Louis looked focused on driving, though I felt his mind was elsewhere.

I examined him as discreetly as I could, pretending there was something outside the driver's window that had my attention. His eyes widened and relaxed as he watched the road. He looked tired and he very well be. He'd made this trip a few times, I didn't doubt he was sick of it. He sighed and ran a hand through the side of his head, scratching a bit before bringing it back to the steering wheel.

I can't take this anymore. I coughed and opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I had planned a series of questions that would lead to a good conversation but here I was with an open mouth, silently gaping at Louis who looked at me as if I were a fool.

He seemed to enjoy the sight.

"I know," he began, "this isn't the most ideal situation. Lets try not to make this awkward, yeah?" I shut my mouth and smiled. "Right then, how about some music?" He reached into the armrest between us and pulled out a jewel case for a cd with no booklet. He pried open the case with his left hand and using his knees while the other hand was on the wheel.

The blank cd began to play and I grinned wide, recognizing the song playing as "We Cry" by The Script. I hummed to the tune loud enough for Louis to hear, causing him to turn to me for a split second and smile. He turned the volume higher and began bopping his head up and down to the beat, mouthing the words dramatically. I laughed and started to sing to my full capacity, hitting the higher notes on purpose to impress Louis. He would slow the car down to be able to look at me while I sang, which I didn't mind at all. He could look at me all he wanted as long as I didn't have to look away from those eyes. The song slowed down and began to get repetitive so I went back to humming, turning to the window and shrugging off my singing as it were no big deal.

"Wow." Louis was still smiling and had lowered the volume as the next song played. "Your voice is amazing. Do you take lessons?"

I shook my head and tried to hide my blush. "No, I just always liked to sing. I sang anything playing at my house, my mum and sister's music. I suppose you can say I've had practice."

"Makes sense." His eyes focused back on the road. "Diana was always attracted to singers."

"She's never heard me sing."

The silence returned after that. Only the sounds of the car and the faint songs on the speakers echoed in my head and around me and Louis. He had the same look on his face as he had when we first started driving, leading me to believe he was thinking about what he had thought before.

We were an hour into the trip and I'd pulled out my notebook from my backpack to attempt to write a song again. The only thing I could even focus on was Louis. Without looking at him I thought of his hair, his cheekbones, his small figure, and his eyes. The lightning in his eyes was undeniable. His gaze put me in a trance and made me see life in slow motion.

I should write that down. I looked at my pen. The lightning in- no, I don't think I should put his eyes, lets make it your eyes. The lightning in your eyes is undeniable. That doesn't have a good ring to it. I can't deny the lightning in your eyes. Well, it rhymes, sort of.