Chapter 27: Let Me Talk, Lou!

╚Louis➳╝

"When the night is coming down on you, da-da-da-da-da through the dark."

I nodded my head and hummed as I drove, fingers tapping the steering wheel as if they were piano keys. Miles away from Diana's house I had this overwhelming desire to hum to myself. During that humming session I'd come up with a tune and eventually a lyric line.

I repeated the line I had to myself, hoping to fill in the dadada's with actual lyrics. For the past hour I'd been hearing the same beat and picturing a deeper voice for the line I had. I, myself, wasn't great with lyrics, I was better at creating the beats, which is why I'd been comfortable doing cover songs rather than composing our own material. I figured with Liam and Harry as writers we'd have more than enough ideas for songs.

As I approached the city I asked myself if I really wanted to go home. I knew who could assist me in the song I was writing and I figured we were okay now and wouldn't have any issues or awkwardness if I stopped by for his advice on the tune I had.

I turned into Niall's neighborhood, realizing too late that I had my high beams on and turned them off when I pulled into the driveway of the house. I turned the car off and remained in the seat, pulling out my phone to make a quick text.

Come outside.

Without the engine of the car running, it quickly became very cold inside. I blew hot air into my hands and cuffed them around my face, rubbing my arms to create heat. I looked through the windows and saw all the lights were off. I frowned and brought my phone back to my hands, intending to call him when I caught sight of the time.

"Three a.m.?" I whispered to myself. Shit, he's probably asleep.

I put the keys into the ignition, hearing the familiar beeping of the car recognizing the key before I saw the wooden front door open behind the metal screen door. I leaned back, taking the keys out of the ignition as he continued past the metal door and down the steps to the passenger side of my car.

"I thought you were Liam," his low voice murmured as I brought the window down. He had on a thin light green shirt with pajama bottoms, hair wildly uncombed pointing out in different directions.

I unlocked the door and he stepped inside, rolling the window back up to keep the heat inside the car. "And I thought you were asleep," I opened my mouth to tell him about the song before I realized what he said. "Were you waiting for Liam?"

He shook his head, looking at his lap.

"Were you awake?"

"Y-yes." I could feel him hesitating.

"Why? I know Niall sleeps early."

"I was...on the phone."

I rubbed my eyes with my fists and turned to look at him. "Who with?"

He raised an eyebrow, turning to face me. "Why are you here? To interrogate me at early hours in the morning?"

I frowned. "I asked first."

"If you must know," he huffed, leaning back in the seat, "I was on the phone with Zayn. He-"

"Why were you talking to him?" I cut in, "I told you to stay away from him."

He put his hands up and his eyebrows came together in a scowl. "Yes, let me explain. He's coming with me to Cheshire tomor-"

"He's what?"

"Let me talk, Lou!"

I closed my mouth into a pout, shifting back to my original position and faced the steering wheel. I felt my jaw quiver slightly as I was shaken that he raised his voice at me.