Chapter 29: ...Potential Boyfriend?

╚Harry©╝

I drove in silence, using a fake headache from earlier's events as an excuse to have the radio off. Though I would've loved a distraction, I didn't want the song I would hear to capture what I was feeling at the moment.

I knew I'd cool down later and no longer be angry but if I were to hear a song I heard when I was angry, everything would come back to me and I'd be mad once again.

Zayn sat impatiently, bothered by the quietness of the car. His fingers tapped against each other quickly and he kept shifting the way he was sitting. The drive back to Holmes Chapel wasn't too long but when all you hear are the sounds of the engine and other cars around you, it's bound to drive you mad.

"Listen, about earlier-"

"Don't."

"You know we all used to know each other. I told you this. It's just-"

"Zayn. Don't," I said slowly, gripping the steering wheel. I was tired of thinking about it and the headache I lied about ironically was becoming a real thing. "I really don't care."

"I could tell you do care. Liam and Louis know my mum because we would hang out. The reason why I didn't mention the parties is because Niall doesn't know we knew each other at all."

"And that makes it better? That's just adding to what you and Louis are hiding from us, now you've got Liam involved!" I snapped, turning to him enough to see him flinch from my raise of voice.

"What do you mean what me and Louis are hiding? I told you about the drugs," he protested.

"Then why wouldn't Louis just say that when I asked him?" I could feel my voice shaking as I lowered my volume, a whimper just seconds away from emerging. "I asked him how he knew you and he wouldn't tell me."

I looked back to the road, concentrating and trying to force back a scowl. "He was probably afraid to tell you about the drugs. We got into some heavy mind altering stuff and he was probably afraid you would look at him differently because of it."

I listened to Zayn's words, surprisingly getting calmed as he talked. "He said he was afraid of telling me something I didn't know. I feel like the drugs aren't all-"

"Do you know how scared I was to tell you I still did drugs?" Zayn cut in, silencing me. "I haven't gotten into detail because I'm afraid you aren't familiar with all the ones I've done. I was afraid you'd see me different and think of me the same way Louis does."

I swallowed hard, wanting to look at him to see if there were any hints of a lie. I cursed the road silently for not letting me look away. "How does he think of you?"

"As an addict." I heard him sigh. "He told me to stay away from you and the band because he didn't want you or Niall to be influenced by me and my habits."

I frowned. "He said that?"

"Yesterday when he drove me home."

"How...hypocritical."

The drive continued smoothly after that, consisting of small chats about work and the weather. I brought up the tattoo and Zayn seemed to glow from excitement. "I found a picture online, I'll show it to you when we're in the neighborhood, yeah?"

Hitting the familiar streets I called home, I was able to look away from driving and see the picture. I smiled, already picturing how I would do it. "It looks really nice. On your left hip, you said?"

He nodded, putting his phone away. "Barrel facing down, as if I were to pull it out and shoot at any moment."

I decided I'd stop at the shop to make Zayn's reservation first. I knew I had to hurry since it was late and the shop closed at 8 on Wednesdays so I had Zayn wait in the car as I ran into the small structure.