Chapter 19: One Hundred Percent

The only sounds heard this early Monday morning were the songs playing through my car speakers and the sound of my own voice in my head going through my schedule that following week. I'd talked to Niall about separating my time preparing for the competition and the time I was going to work with Frank. Monday through Wednesday I was going to be in Doncaster with Niall and our recruits, which of whom were not yet picked. Thursday through Saturday I was going to be back in Holmes Chapel working with Frank, and Sunday I'd be at home with Gemma, since it was her only day off. That way we could both sit on the couch with snacks complaining about how hard the week has been on us.

Niall talked to his boss, and landlord, I guess, earning him his job back and an invitation for me to work with him as well if I wanted to stay in Doncaster full time. I, of course, declined his offer, wanting to have as much time at home as possible. I had already spoken to my mum over the phone and agreed to stop by her flat in London before I officially left.

Liam's family was very supportive of Niall and what he wanted to do. His parents at home were thrilled as well, or so Niall told me. He would go to Ireland to visit his family every summer so when he said instead this summer he was going to the States they were bummed out, but they couldn't be happier for him. Liam's father, after hearing we still had others to gather for the competition, invited me to stay whenever I wished at his home so I wouldn't have to make the trip back and forth.

I agreed, but I wasn't heading to Niall's.

Not yet, anyway.

I parked across the street from Ashton's house, noticing there were a few more cars in his driveway than usual. Bringing my jacket in tighter around me, I took a deep breath and walked the few steps up to his front door.

Ashton's mom greeted me at the door with a smile, warming my heart when I noticed similar facial features between her and Ashton that only became apparent when they smiled. Lines formed around her lips and dimples came into view as well as her teeth. "Harry, hi, darling. Come in, let me get Ash."

I took a step in and saw him sitting between two uncles at the kitchen table to my left, beer in the spot in front of him as he used his hands to tell a story. The women were sitting on the couch with smaller children playing around them on the floor. Eventually Ashton saw me standing awkwardly at the door and gave me a quick smirk before excusing himself and walking over to me.

"You're just in time, my aunt is in the kitchen with my mum making pikelets." He stepped over to my side so he can see his family in the living room, glancing at the stairs where I assumed his brother and sister were hiding out upstairs in their rooms. His eyes shone with awe when he looked at his gathered family. I could tell he was trying not to look at me, perhaps of fear that I'd ruin the blissful sight in front of him.

This was my first attempt to talk to Ashton since I hung up on him when I called on Friday and I hadn't said a word to him. I knew he wasn't going to bring up what we were talking about before so I had to. He was too stubborn to begin the conversation himself when I was the one who ended it. He also knew how difficult it would be for me to speak up, making my silence more amusing for him.

"Is there anything I can help with?"

He put his hands in his jeans pockets and shrugged. "We could step outside and you can stop being such a pussy." I turned my head to him in shock, hints of fear probably surfacing. His reassuring smile calmed me down and I shoved him with my shoulder. "Come on, you dick."

He sat in his front step and I took a seat in front of him, crossing my legs as he brought his knees to his chest. He looked at me and raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to begin. "Why is your family all here?"