Chapter 21: Don't Say It

╚ Louis☠ ╝

"No. Fucking - absolutely not."

"Dude, it isn't fair that you don't try out. Everyone else did." Niall's hands gripped the mic stand, adjusting it to my height, humorously bringing it to his knees. "Just so we all know what we sound like."

I cracked my knuckles, rolling my eyes and bringing the mic back up. "This is stupid. They're not all here and you've already heard me sing. Am I not good enough?"

Niall sat on the floor next to the skillfully crafted stage, scrolling through his phone for the song I was going to sing. "I don't remember, what if your voice has gone to shit since then?"

I waited for him to find it, standing up straight and clearing my throat. "I didn't get to do my vocal exercises. I need some water imported from Norway and a scarf made in Ireland."

Zayn snickered in front of me, not looking up from the grass he was picking at, lost in thought though listening to me and Niall. "I'll get Harry right on it."

My breath hitched, making a sharp noise through the speaker next to Niall, causing him to look at me questioningly. I smiled. "Vocal exercises."

Zayn looked up. "It sounds like you're having sex."

Right.

"I found it," Niall waved his arm around his head, his eyes still on his phone. "You know the lyrics completely?"

I shrugged. "Who doesn't?"

The guitar tune to Mr. Brightside, by The Killers began. I curled my toes and bobbed my head to the beat before beginning. I tried concentrating on the lyrics but I still thought about the boner wielding twat that ran inside the house when he noticed his hard on. Niall hadn't noticed but I was sure Zayn saw. My hands tightened around the mic in a fist as I wondered what made Harry that way. I knew I didn't have that good of an affect on him.

Did I?

I figured I'd cut the song off after the chorus, seeing as it repeated until the end. "Open up my eager eyes, 'Cause I'm-"

The front door to Niall's house opened, revealing a tall, lanky, dimpled lad adjusting his pants. His eyes met mine for half a second before rolling back to see the inside of his head and stepping toward us.

The song paused, "Good, now we can all hear the rest of the song."

"Why? It's just all of the same-"

"I'd love to hear you sing." Harry said simply, taking a seat directly in front of me.

Next to Zayn.

I clicked my tongue and turned to Niall. "After me, can we hear them perform? I didn't get to hear them."

Harry frowned. "You've already-"

"Because I think it's unfair that I had to sing to them all and I don't know what they sound like. What if they're shit?" They weren't. I was sure of that.

Harry turned to Zayn, "He's right, you didn't get to sing." He slipped him a shy smile before adding, "You should start picking what you're going to sing for us."

And it made my blood boil, though it wasn't supposed to. I couldn't stand Harry's flirtatious attitude toward Zayn in addition to the fact that I didn't know when it all started. I couldn't say I was surprised, not by Zayn's part, anyway. Harry, on the other hand - it hurt that he was already interested in someone else.

Not just anyone else, either. Zayn.

"Play the fucking song." I mumbled.

The song continued where it left off. I once again tapped my feet and moved my shoulders to the beat of the song. I found it hard to focus on anything but Harry and Zayn exchanging looks in front of me. They turned their attention to me when the vocals began, though I could feel their gaze beyond me.