Chapter 42: My Back be Damned

Wait! Don't play the song yet! I'll let you know 😊

The aroma of fresh coffee and leftover holiday pine decorations is spread through Louis's home as the heater kicks on. January mornings are the coldest, after all.

After his family left on Christmas Day, he was taking his time removing the tinsel off the stairway and sweeping up the bits of tree the littles ripped off during present opening time. He had missed them terribly.

Though it did get tiring putting on the happy mask.

His mum had begged Louis to invite Diana. His original plan was to spend the daytime with his family and sneak away at night to spend a few hours with Zayn after he was finished spending time with his own family.

Diana's invite put a dent in that plan. That, along with all day, Johannah had been referring to Diana as her "newest daughter" had Louis sick to his stomach by 8pm, blaming some bad Chinese food for his early retirement to his room. Diana went home and the rest of the family put themselves to bed.

He did find time to spend with Zayn, telling Diana he would be in London with his family for New Year's Eve just to spend two days on Zayn's bed.

Louis drops his ankles off the coffee table to stand up at the sound of a knock on the door. Zayn greets him with his hands behind his back, the grin of a misbehaved child.

Caring little of what is hidden behind Zayn, Louis pulls his waist to bring him closer, kissing him sweetly, "Happy birthday, love."

"Aren't you going to ask me what's in my hands?"

"Ill tell you what I want in your hands."

They step inside and shut the door. Zayn reveals a rose. "I know what I want for my birthday."

Louis feels his heart sink. I know what that means.

He makes his way to the couch, gesturing for Zayn to sit with him. "I don't know if that's gonna be possible so soon after the holidays."

Zayn sets the rose on the coffee table before sitting, annoyed. "First it was too close to the holidays. Now it's too soon after?"

Louis swallows and nods.

"When will be a good time for you?"

The smaller man fights the urge to shrug but replies, "I don't know." His gaze travels to the rose on the table. Louis loves roses. "I want to make sure she will be alright when I do break up with her. I don't want to hurt her feelings."

Zayn stands, looking at his feet as if he's contemplating something. "Don't come over tonight. I need some time to thinkalone."

Louis huffs. "You're having a fucking party tonight. I doubt you'll be alone."

Zayn shifts his pained eyes to look at him. "I mean away from you."

"Please don't do this today." Louis stands up, closing the gap between him and Zayn with a hug. "I don't want you upset today. It's your birthday, for fuck's sake."