Chapter 5: Ink is Permanent

"Sorry, Frank. It was just a little unexpected, is all. I'll let you know as soon as I can go back to work."

"I know. I trust you. Get back to me asap, you know the rest of the morons I have working here."

I laughed, sitting up straight on the couch, the bed sheet still around my waist. "I will. They're not that bad. You're not as hard on them as you should be. Show those rebellious kids who's boss!"

I heard Frank laugh and turn in his chair, most likely in his office. "You just worry about getting back. I'll take care of the shop."

We hung up short after deciding I wouldn't take my time going home. Next on my list, Gemma. I dialed her number and received no answer. She must be working.

"Staying in Doncaster another day. I'll take pictures," I read aloud as I typed into my phone. "Text me when you can." I'd waken up at around 6am and remembered I had a job and family at home that had to know I was staying with Louis another day. Well, maybe they didn't need to know that I was staying with Louis, but that I wouldn't be going back that day.

Ashton. I was halfway done dialing his number when I heard movement upstairs. I felt my stomach flip. Louis must be awake. I looked around the floor for the shirt I had abandoned a few hours before due to the heat and put it over my torso. I stood up and stretched, groaning as my stomach rumbled. I picked up the bed sheet and folded it, fixing up a small bundle of clothes so I could ask Louis to use his shower before we went out.

Ending my anticipation, the soft, sleepy footsteps of a clearly sleep deprived Louis made their way down the stairs as I waited on the couch with the television on. I looked up at him and smiled, patting the cushion next to me for him to sit down. He grinned sleepily and sat down, squinting and blinking to stay awake. "I'm gonna miss this damn telly."

"She looks like she lived a good life." I replied, turning my body a bit to face him. I still had my bundle of clothes in my hand. "Do you mind if I use your restroom? I was hoping to take a quick shower as well before our-" I stopped. "Um."

He looked at me confused at first but then it clicked. "Right, sight-seeing." He nodded and told me where to go. I nervously continued up the stairs and to Louis' personal bathroom by his bedroom. It looked like a normal bathroom, as if I expected to find anything out of the ordinary. I found myself looking through drawers and cabinets as I undressed, finding nothing but deoderant and shaving lotion, a few different colognes scattered over the counter. When I got to the last drawer on the bottom I figured I'd already wasted more time than it usually takes to undress so I hopped in the shower and left the contents of the last drawer to my imagination.

The smell of bacon and warm cinnamon bread first hit me as I opened the bathroom door. I inhaled deeply and remembered how hungry I was before my shower. I skipped downstairs and put my dirty clothes in my sack before heading to the kitchen.

I found Louis in front of the stove, stirring eggs, swaying his hips side to side while humming a song I couldn't name. I pulled out a chair from the kitchen island, startling him with the sound. By the time he turned around, I had a napkin tucked in my shirt as a bib and a fork and knife in my hands.

He smiled at the sight. "I was sure you were hungry. I'm not much of a cook but I do know how to make the essentials." he walked over with the pan and placed a serving on my plate with a spoon. I scolfed my food down before he walked back over with two small strips of bacon. "You look like a man who knows how to eat," he chuckled, reaching back for my second serving. He sat across from me with a plate for himself and another plate of cinnamon rolls. I ate my second plate slowly, not wanting to finish before him.