Chapter 16 - Katniss

(Katniss's POV)

Monday afternoon, Madge invites me to hang out at her house. Prim begs to come too, and Madge says that's fine, much to my annoyance. Prim happily skips along in front while Madge and I walk a few paces behind, talking.

"So, I hear auditions for drama started today?" Madge says. I nod. "What are you auditioning for?"

"Nothing. I can't sing," I say frankly.

She frowns at me. "I don't believe that. You have to audition!"

I shake my head. "Not going to happen."

Madge ignores me. "I can help you with your audition song, and Prim can become audience, how does that sound?"

I sigh. "Fine, but if I don't like my voice I don't have to audition."

Madge shrugs. "What part do you want? I can probably download some sheet music from a song they sing."

"Who said I even what a part?"

"You don't have stage fright, do you?"

I shake my head. No, that is not one of my many flaws.

"So, pick a part. What do you want?" I shrug.

When we get to her house, Madge pulls up a list of the cast for "Into the Woods" and reads through the whole thing, making me say "yes" or "no" to each one (I say no every time). Prim says I should try out for Cinderella, so Madge prints out some sheet music for one of Cinderella's songs and makes me sing. Prim is overly enthusiastic, saying my voice is "amazingly beautifully perfect," but that's not true.

Finally, Madge pesters me enough that I agree to audition and start taking it seriously. What really does it is when she points out the Glimmer also wants this part, and there's a chance that I can take it away from her. Not the best reason, I know, but it would be a nice bonus.

After two hours, my helpers finally decide that I'm ready and we can move on to doing other things.

"What part does Gale want?" I ask.

"The baker. He'll probably get it, and Im not just saying that because he's my friend." I raise my eyebrows at that, teasingly. "You've seen, there aren't a lot of boys in drama. It's mainly girls." I nod. That's true. Most boys, I guess, think drama isn't "manly" enough for them. Strange.

Prim saw my expression when Madge said Gale was her friend. "Is Gale your boyfriend?" she asks.

Madge blushes. "Um..." She looks at me for help. "When do you consider a boy your boyfriend?"

I shrug. "Prim, I think he isn't now, but probably will be soon." Prim nods, but I think she's confused.

"What's Gale's last name?" Prim asks.

"What? Why?" I frown.

"Just wondering..."

"It's Hawthorne," Madge says.

"I know his brother, then. Rory?"

Madge smiles and nods. "Oh yeah, he's in your grade, isn't he?"

Prim nods and starts playing a game on her iPod. We go home soon, and I don't sleep well. I'm probably anxious about drama tomorrow. The whole next day goes by slower than usual, it seems, and that doesn't help. Finally, the dreaded class arrives.

Finnick and Gale ask me (like they have everyday) if Im going to audition. To their surprise, I say yes. I sign up to audition for Cinderella.

Several other girls go in front of me. Glimmer has a whole song and dance routine worked out. It's a bit too over the top, and Ms. Cressida looks really unamused by it. Then, it's my turn.

I try taking deep breaths to calm myself down, but it doesn't work well. All I can focus on is everyone staring at me, some of them sneering. I hand my music to the piano player, my hands shaking.

The first measure of the intro goes by. The second. I can't remember the words, or where I start singing. I start to panic. This was a bad idea. I'm going to make a fool of myself. And then...

I'm singing. All the right words, at the right time. I can't remember any of the words to save my life, but here they are, coming out of my mouth perfectly. And it sounds good. I get through the whole part without a single mistake, and for a minute after I'm done, there's complete silence. Then, Finnick and Gale start clapping and lots of other people join in. Ms. Cressida gives me a thumbs up.

I walk back to my seat next to Finnick. "That was amazing! What do you mean, you can't sing?" He whispers.

"Now I know I can't trust you," Gale says, and laughs. "But really, you were really good."

"Thanks. I'm just glad it's over."

We don't find out our parts until Friday, and to my surprise, the wait is agonizing. I do want to see if my singing was as good as Finnick and Gale said. I doubt I'll get a main part, but maybe a side character, like one of the stepsisters.

Friday, after school, Ms. Cressida hung the list of the cast outside her classroom. I was one of the first people there.

I just looked through the cast, not necessarily looking for my name. The junior high drama class is doing this with us, apparently. I didn't know that, but it says so on the sheet. I think only the children's roles were given to junior high, though.

Witch------------Johanna Mason
Baker------------Gale Hawthorne
Baker's Wife---------Glimmer Snow
Jack----------George Cartwright
Little Red-----------Rue Valdez

I stop and smile. I'm almost certain that that's Prim's friend Rue.

Cinderella----------Katniss Everdeen

I stare at the words, uncomprehending. I have to read them three times to get it. Several people around me say "congrats!"

So, I got a main part. Apparently, I have a better voice than I thought. I shake my head and see what part Finnick got.

The Prince---------Finnick O'dair

Oh gosh. I'm Cinderella? And Finnick O'dair is my prince. I laugh, making several people around me stare.

Finnick comes up behind me and reads over my shoulder. "What's so funny?"

I just point. It's not that funny, it's just going to be ridiculous. Especially seeing him try to kiss Glimmer, onstage.

Finnick smiles. "Nice job, Cinderella."