Chapter 43 - Madge

(Oh my gosh! Look at that! Over 10k reads! Thank you all sooooo, so so much! I love you all, and I love every comment and vote! Thanks for sticking with me!

I'm going to take a random moment here to tell you guys my plans for the future of this book. At the moment, I plan to take the characters through their senior years of high school. Once they graduate, their POVs won't be around as much. The end of the book will be an epilogue, and that's all I'm saying about that. If this gets too long, I might make two sequels for the junior and senior years of school, but I don't plan to at the moment. Of course, I'm already on Chapter 43, so maybe I should...)

(Madge's POV)

As Clove looks around the room for her victim, I scan the others. Who can I ask next? Clove cuts my thinking short by saying, "Madge, truth or dare?"

I instinctively say, "Truth."

"First kiss. Where and who?"

I think back. When was it? "Well, in the fifth grade class play, I had to stage kiss Marvel Drain, but I don't think you mean that." Clove shakes her head, giggling a little. "Well, a few weeks ago then, with Gale, in my living room. And my dad walked in on it."

"Very awkward," Gale adds. Everyone chuckles a bit. Gale puts his arm around me, giving me a hug.

"Well, your turn!" Clove says brightly, smiling at me. I don't understand how she can do that, after what she showed us earlier. My eyes can't help wandering to her sleeves every once in a while. How does she sit there like nothing's wrong, laughing and talking right along with us? In fact, if I had to choose who was depressed to the point of cutting, I'd choose Katniss. What is up with her? She's been in a fairly bad mood for most of the night, especially when she's around Cl...oh my word...

"Madge?" Clove waves her hand in front of my face. I start as I get pulled back to reality.

"Ok. Let's see." I scan the room again. "Johanna, truth or dare?"

"Dare." She doesn't even think about it. Either she really wants to do crazy things, or she really doesn't want to answer questions. Oh well. My mind goes blank. I can't think of anything. I'm about to say something stupid like "kiss the bottom of your shoe" when Gale leans over.

"I have an idea," he whispers. I tilt my head so I can whisper into my ear. It's perfect.

"Johanna, I dare you to kiss the person on your right's cheek and tell them you love them and think they're sexy. Gale's idea."

Johanna smile was replaced by a look of amusement, surprise, and slight horror, because sitting to her right is Cato, her best friend's boyfriend. Cato looks incredulous, and glances at Clove. Gale's face is the most accurate example of "deadpan" I've ever seen, but the rest of us can't help breaking into laughter.

"Let's get this over with," Johanna says, disgustedly. She looks like she's in actual pain as she quickly pecks Cato's cheek. He doesn't look any happier.

"Do the rest," Peeta prompts, because Johanna seems reluctant to do anything more.

She shoots Clove an apologetic look as she coughs out, "I love you, you're sexy." She makes a huge deal of gagging afterwards, and Clove has to assure her twice that it's ok before she'll sit back down.

Gale stares at Clove, and his face is inscrutable. "What?" she finally asks.

"Truth or dare?" he replies.

Clove considers this a minute, then shrugs. "Dare. Might as well."

"Perfect." He continues to stare at her. Clove frowns at him, obviously a little uncomfortable. "I dare you to sit in Cato's lap for the rest of the game."

Clove seems to go over that in her mind, then shrugs. "Ok." She quickly slides into his lap.

I roll my eyes. Gale is an idiot. He smirks at Cato, who smirks right back. I wonder if that planned that...?

Katniss interrupts my thoughts. "Madge, truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Gosh, you're boring," Katniss says. "What's the biggest trouble you've ever gotten into, and why?"

"Oh, gosh." That's a tough one. I'm generally a good kid. Teacher's pet, all that annoying stuff. Recently, Finch Carrington has taken that honor off my shoulders, though, which is fine by me. "In sixth grade, Gale and Peeta talked me into switching Glimmer's shampoo with hair dye at her birthday party, and she had bright green hair for a month. I almost got suspended."

"Whoa, that's almost Johanna-worthy," Cato says, chuckling.

Peeta laughs. "Gale, truth or dare?"

"Truth..." Last time we played this game with Peeta, he dared Gale to skinny-dip in my neighbor's pool and since then we've been banned from playing truth or dare at my house. Let's just say we don't take any chances with Peeta.

"Which Disney princess can you relate to most and why?" Peeta asks.

"Um..." Gale sighs. "Let's make it clear that the only reason I know about Disney princesses is because Posy loves them. Ok?" Everyone nods, but we're still all about to laugh. "I guess Merida...? She's totally bada-"

"Gale..." I say warningly. I hate cursing with a passion.

"Sorry. She's totally...um...hardcore? Gosh, Madge, that's a hard one to replace. Anyway, you guys know I like hunting-"

"I actually did not know that," Clove pipes up.

"Well, I like hunting," Gale says. "And...yeah...only Disney princess movie that didn't totally suck was Brave, in my opinion."

I clap, and Katniss joins me. "That's wonderful, Gale," I say. He rolls his eyes, but laughs along with the rest of us. "Who's turn now?" I ask.

Johanna's hand shoots up. "Katniss. Truth or dare." She says it like its a statement, not a question.

Katniss shrugs. "Truth."

Johanna smiles, perfectly evil. "Why do you hate Clove?"

"I don't hate Clove."

"You do, and you know it." Johanna is obviously unconvinced.

Clove starts, "Johanna, ple-"

"Katniss." Johanna states at her.

Katniss shakes her head. "No." There's some invisible dialogue going on between them that the rest of us can't hear or see.

Clove shrugs her shoulders helplessly. "I'm sorry."

"It's ok." Part of what Johanna said is true, I think. Katniss clearly doesn't like Clove. I don't know why, and I don't think it goes as far as hate. I do think that the four of us should have a serious talk later tonight, though.

Johanna sits back in exasperation. "Whatever, brainless." Katniss acts just as irritated. They make a point of not looking at each other. Great. This might be a long night.