Chapter 46 - Clove

(I promise, after this chapter everything goes back to normal and I'll stop skipping the boys' POVs)

(Clove's POV)

Monday morning, Johanna meets me about a block ahead of school. Which is weird. "What's up?" I ask, a bit suspiciously.

"Just needed to talk," she says casually. Ok, this is really weird.

I stop and cross my arms. "What is it?"

She sighs. "Well...my parents are getting a divorce."

Immediately, my suspiciousness melts into compassion. "Oh my gosh, Johanna, I'm so sorry!" I put my hand on her arm.

She shrugs. "It's fine, I've been expecting it." I noticed she avoids my eyes.

"Are you sure you're ok?" My voice might have the slightest twinge of doubt in it.

"Yeah. Just wanted to tell you where the whole school couldn't hear. Come on." She drags me towards school, and is it my imagination, or does she have to make an effort to put her normal jaunty smile on her face?

I try my best to stop thinking about what Johanna told me, because I know the last thing on earth she wants is pity and that's exactly what emotion in filled with when I think of that. Instead, I rack my brain for something to ask Johanna about. "How's drama going?"

She immediately perks up at that, like I knew she would. "The play is coming along great! I hate to admit it, but Glimmer's not that bad of an actor,"

"Oh, I know that," I say, laughing. Gosh, do I ever.

"I am obviously the best part of the show," she says, flipping her short hair over her shoulder in mock-arrogance. I roll my eyes. At least she's gotten her mind of her parents.

She chatters on about the play for the next ten minutes, and Finnick joins in after we sit down with the group in the cafeteria. Together they go on and on about this and that person's solo and how this person doesn't deserve their part and it should have been that person. But apparently, overall, the show will be fantastic. They still have a whole month to polish it, and by December it'll be perfect.

Finnick keeps trying to draw Katniss into the conversation, but she makes a point of ignoring Johanna (who also makes a point of ignoring Katniss), so he eventually gives up. I don't understand those two. I know Johanna is only trying to defend me, but I don't think I really need defending. Katniss isn't being hostile. She's just acting like a brat.

The day flies along like normal, until lunch. Gale, Cato, and Finnick are gone for a football meeting, so it's just Peeta and the five girls. Luckily Peeta isn't the kind of boy who's awkward around girls, or he'd be in trouble.

Madge and Annie are talking away about this book Annie is reading (one I've never heard of). Peeta is occasionally adding a comment to their conversation but obviously hasn't read the book either. Johanna and Katniss keep exchanging nasty looks but I'm determined to ignore them unless they actually start fighting. It doesn't take long.

"Johanna, stop!" Katniss glares across the table at her.

"Stop what?" Johanna acts surprised, and I don't think she's faking that innocence, but it's so hard to tell with her.

"Stop kicking me under the table. And glaring at me. Or, even better, just leave!"

"Why don't you leave, Cindy?" Johanna smirks, and casually starts perking her orange. Katniss's furious face tells me that she does not like being called that. It's probably short for Cinderella.

"Guys, please don't fi-"

"Shut up," Katniss snaps.

"Shut up yourself," Johanna retorts. "You know, you inspire my inner serial killer."

Madge hasn't noticed them yet, but once she does she'll probably start yelling, and I'm not sure that's the best idea in the crowded cafeteria. I don't want the whole school knowing my problems. Again. So, I'll have to stop them myself.

Johanna and Katniss have fallen to childish name calling, throwing insults back and forth, and getting more hateful by the minute. I have no idea what's gotten into my friend. She isn't like this normally.

"Stop!" I say loudly.

Katniss takes this as the perfect excuse to turn on me. "You. Shut up."

I cross my arms. "No. You need to sto-"

"Do you hear that? It's the sound of no one caring." Katniss smirks.

"Oh, so original," Johanna says, rolling her eyes. "Some babies were dropped on their heads, but you were clearly thrown against a wall."

"Johanna!" I gasp. What on earth is going on?

Katniss rolls her eyes. "Hey, I could say nice things, but I'd rather tell the truth."

"Want the truth?" Johanna asks, the most fake sweet smile plastered on her face. "It looks like your face caught on fire and somebody tried to put it out with a fork."

"That's enough!" I say, a tiny bit louder than I intended. A few people from surrounding tables look at me, then turn back to their own conversations. Madge, Annie, and Peeta, however, are paying attention now.

"Clove, stay out of this. It's all above your head anyway," Katniss says.

I raise my eyebrow. "Right. Says the girl with straight B's." Johanna laughs and tries to give me a high five but I ignore her. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Madge, a bit too shocked to react.

Katniss glares at me. "Go away. Leave the fighting to the adults"

"So childish," I say calmly. "What'll you do if I don't? Run to your mom and dad crying?"

Katniss stiffens at that, and I know I said something wrong. She looks like she's having a hard time not lunching me. "My dad is dead, Clove. You can't just assume that everyone is like you. Some people don't get the privilege of having their dad around."

Johanna glances at me uneasily. I admit, it would be very satisfying to lose my temper right now and go all out on Katniss Everdeen, but I don't. Instead, I search for the most scathing way to tell her just how wrong she is. "You're right. Some people don't." I pause, considering how to say this. "But at least you had one."

I don't wait for their reactions. I turn and quickly make my way through the tables and out of the cafeteria, and find myself in the school library. I didn't expect to cry when I was walking here, but as soon as I sit down, I burst into tears.