Chapter 34 - Cato

(Cato's POV)

"So, have anything in mind you wanted to do?" Johanna asks. I really don't think she minds being the third wheel. Not that Clove and I are making out or anything.

I glance over at Clove, holding my hand as we walk. She looks so fragile, and I'm almost afraid I'll break her. But she's stronger than she looks. I can't believe I ever gave her up. I can't believe I hurt her so much. I know she's wearing long sleeves, but just knowing what she's done to herself tears me up. I know she said it's not my fault, but I can't shake the feeling that it is. I swear, if I have anything to say about it, no one will ever hurt Clove again.

"Well...?" Johanna turns around and starts walking backwards so she's facing us. I realize I never answered her.

"Johanna! You're going to kill yourself!" Clove laughs as Johanna walks into a mailbox.

We stop. "So...?" Johanna frowns at me.

I shrug. "I don't know. I didn't really have anything planned..."

"Oh." Johanna slowly turns in a circle, taking in everything downtown has to offer. Her eyes lock on the ice rink farther down the street. "How about ice skating?"

"I've never been ice skating," Clove says quietly.

Johanna rolls her eyes. "Never had a bike, never been ice skating, did you have a childhood?" Now it's Clove's turn to roll her eyes.

"Well, if you've never been ice skating, maybe it's time you tried it," I say. "If you want to, that is."

"Ok, sounds fun," Clove says, smiling. Her smile could light up a room.

"Let's eat first," I say quickly.

After we eat, we head to the ice rink. I pay for three pairs of ice skates. It's been a while since I ice skated. In middle school, I played hockey, but I had to give that up when I started football. My parents only let me do one sport at a time.

After I'm done putting my shoes on, I notice Clove is having a tough time getting hers laced up tight enough. I kneel down and tie them for her. "Thanks," she says sweetly. I offer her my arm, and we walk slowly to the entrance to the rink.

Johanna is waiting for us when we get there. After Clove half-falls twice, she skates up to Clove's other arm and takes it. "Don't fall, or you'll pull us all down with you."

Clove smiles and shakes her head. "You think I'm trying to fall?" she asks as she falls once again.

Soon, though, she's got the hang of it. She refuses to let go of us, but it's been twenty minutes without any tumbles.

Eventually, Johanna pulls herself away and starts showing off. I remember she used to do figure skating. Imagine, Johanna, an ice ballerina. She twirls around, probably for the benefit of everyone else here.

Clove leans her head on my shoulder. "This is fun."

I smile down at her. "Yeah."

After a minute, Clove looks up at me. "What's Glimmer going to do?"

"What?" I say, confused.

"I mean, she won't be happy. What'll she do? When she realizes we're..."

"Dating? I don't know. I don't really care," I say truthfully. "Probably throw a tantrum or something. You know, like she always does." Clove doesn't look incredibly convinced. "Just don't worry about it. We're together, and that's all that matters," I say. Clove smiles.

Sooner than I wanted, it's three o'clock, and the public skating is over. I can see all the middle schoolers lined up along the side to practice either hockey or figure skating. We slowly make our way to the exit.