DREAMS IN THE DARK

The next few days were busy in a furry of activities, as promised Shivaay had seeked help from the topmost neurologist of the country who after studying Gauri's case had reassured the family that she was well on the path of recovery. They had moved Gauri from the previous hospital to a more renowned hospital where Dr. Siddharth was a regular faculty, so that he could closely monitor Gauri's progress and take necessary course of action.

Annika's days were filled with sitting near Gauri's bed and telling her all kinds of things about her life. One such evening flat on her back, Gauri had a blanket covering from her abdomen down. Multiple monitors were attached to her chest, and an IV was administering medication through Gauri's veins. Annika glanced toward the heart monitor and was able to relax a little when she saw that Gauri's heart rate was steady. There were multiple nurses fluttering around, but when they realized Annika was there they politely backed off to give them some space.

She was sitting near Gauri's bed and munching on an apple as she told her "Could you believe it Gauri....it's been 5 days since you were taken off life support. The doctors seem positive that you will be awake any day now. Could you please hurry up a bit. I have missed talking to you so much, this one way conversation is fine but I will like to hear your soulful voice again. And with Shivaay being so busy in making arrangements for you and explaining to his family the situation why we had to rush back from Goa and that they shouldn't rush back here. I feel so lonely."

G: "Anni.....Goa"

Annika with tears in her eyes looked at Gauri's fluttering eyes that were trying to adjust to light after such a long sleep. She held Gauri's arm and squeezed it gently, watching her for a moment while Gauri stared at her, tears welling.

"Don't be scared chutki, Just wait a minute let me call the doctor." Annika told Gauri and pressed the call button near her bed as she didn't want to leave her alone for a minute also. Telling the nurse to call the doctor she looked at Gauri's puzzled expressions and said "Don't worry if you can't remember what happened or where you are. We were in a accident Gauri on my 21st birthday, where Bhavya and me were relatively unharmed but you went into coma dear. We are in a hospital right now. You are going to be fine chutki." She told Gauri reassuringly and kissed her forehead.

As the doctor came and checked Gauri, she asked the doctor "Why does everything seems so bright? And why can't I feel my legs? What date is it today?"

Hearing her questions the doctor examined her legs and frowned a bit saying "Everything is bright because you are seeing with your eyes after a long time Miss. I am sorry to tell you that today is 26th August 2021. You have been in a vegetative state for almost 2 years now. We will look into the matter of your legs and conduct some tests madam. Please take care."

Annika held Gauri in her arms after the revelation and tried to comfort her cousin. She had lost 2 precious years of her life and Annika ha no clue what she could say to console her grieving soul. Just as she was contemplating what to do chachiji arrived with Viren and Shivaay in tow and seeing Gauri awake, the duo rushed towards her. Engulfing her in her motherly embrace chachiji and Gauri shed tears of happiness while Viren just patted the top of her cousins head.

Annika blinked back her tears at seeing the happy reunion of mother and daughter and thanked her lucky stars for sending chachiji on time. She backed away from the scene only to be held in the warm and strong arms of Shivaay. She gave him a beaming smile and told him about Gauri's questions. Annika alongwith Viren and Shivaay gave the mother daughter some privacy and went to look for the doctor who informed them that it was normal for patients like Gauri to feel some dizziness and weakness and it would take her some time to recover from the trauma emotionally. The no feeling in legs were a cause of concern and they wanted to conduct certain tests to diagnose the problem properly.