WHEN HAPPINESS ISN'T ILLUSION

"Thank you for coming to get my luggage with me," Gauri says to Omkara as they walk into the airplane.

He nods silently at her gratitude, looking down at her with his brilliant dark eyes. She had never taken the time to notice how deep in colour his eyes were. To say that Omkara's eyes were blue was like saying that the sun was yellow. Sufficient but not accurate to capture the burning. They were almost indigo in colour, a mix of the heaviest blue and a rich violet. For a quick second she imagined what Annika's kids will look like if all their eye colour went on the Oberoi's side of gene pool, surely these Oberoi's have girls fawning over them just by looking at their eyes.

"How are you Gauri?" he suddenly asks, pulling her attention back to the present and away from the scorching gaze.

"I'm fine," she replies with a curious smile. Not once since she had known Omkara, had he asked her about the weather or how her day was going, always busy in his own world, but then again, she had also not ever tried to have a friendly conversation with him in the past.

O: "Fine isn't a feeling."

G: "Sure it is. People use it all the time, Mr. Oberoi."

O: "Oberoi? Are we going to use each other's last name as if our siblings aren't getting married and we are strangers? I have to remind you that your sister will be the one bearing this name in 3 days and as for that useless word, just because people use it all the time doesn't make it verbally correct. All it conveys to me is that you aren't fine."

"What do you want me to say?" she asks, settling in a comfortable seat and keeping her clutches safely at a side.

"You don't always have to be strong, you know? It's okay to be angry. To feel hurt. To cry because God was mean to you and landed you in a sticky situation." He said in a matter of fact tone.

"Sticky Situation?" Gauri scoffs, ignoring the annoying wet feeling in her eyes. "I don't care if God has dealt me a bad hand. You don't know a shit about me or my situation. You don't know how hard it is to listen to people talk about you with such pity, even if you're in the room. You will never know how hard it is to keep pretending that nothing is wrong with you when sometimes it fucking hurts even to move out of your bed. My family have already lived in this sadness for a long time and I don't want to burst their pink bubble with my emptiness. You want to know if I'm fine. No, I'm not fine! None of what I have to endure is fine! I am angry because I shouldn't have allowed myself to resist for so long. I'm angry because whatever happened with me seems unfair and uncalled for! And I'm angry because I feel like crying and I don't want to!"

Her body shakes with the force of her words and she wipes at her eyes furiously, ruining her dark eye liner and straining her face with mascara. If only her mother would see her like this, (it was a blessing that everyone was still outside). Hysterical and ungroomed, and in front of Annika's soon to be in laws.

When she ended her little rant, her chest rose and fell dramatically with every breath she took. Never had Gauri felt so weightless as if speaking her mind for the first time and having someone actually listen without interrupting had liberated something within her. Omkara, on the other hand, looked taken aback but slightly pleased by her words.

"Did I just say that out loud?" she asked in mortification.

He nodded "You did."

G: "And you heard everything?"

"Hard not to, seeing as I am sitting just beside you." He replied.

"Can you please go," she said pointing at the aircrafts exit door. "Before I completely make an even bigger fool of myself."