MEMORIES & RESOLUTION

After Annika had left him Shivaay stood at the window contemplating what just happened, too many emotions flooding him all at once. How had this insignificant woman changed the course of his life in just few weeks? This lie that they had said to save the family name might have been a bad decision. He could imagine what his siblings would say, they would with the exception of Om, find his stumble amusing and he didn't even want to think about his parents. His father would likely disown him and his mother.....his mother would be the most painful. She'd look at him with clear disappointment in her eyes, shaking her head at him but saying nothing at all. His grandmother's reaction would probably be the worst of all. His grandmother who always told him she was proud of him. He couldn't even imagine how he would face all that.

It'd be best to go with whatever was happening. He needs to forget these feelings and just continue like he always had. He would continue his existence like this and his family would never find out.

"Annika Oberoi" he tries the name on his tongue. "Annika Shivaay Singh Oberoi."

His lips curves into a smile as he says the name twice more. Nothing could ever sound more natural than her bearing his name. He tried imagining her on his arms during one of the many events that he attended throughout the year, walking together as everyone revealed in her obvious beauty. No one would be able to look at Annika and not be in total awe.

As he walked to meet her in Gauri's room he saw a small child holding the hand of his little sister and handing her a fallen teddy bear. That scene reminded him of his childhood, how he used to play with his siblings, as he sat in his parent's bedroom...

"Do you have to go?" a five year old Shivaay asks his mother as she fixes her gown, looking at her reflection in a floor length mirror while he sits on the rug surrounded by his toys.

Jhanvi turns to him, causing the gown to bellow out behind her "it'd be rude of your father and I not to attend, my love."

"But you didn't even like the Saxena family," he looks up at her with a pout.

"No one really likes the Saxena," she laughs "I specially dislike dear old Mrs. Saxena, but our world is a bit funny. There are certain obligations we have as elites that are necessary to keep no matter how distasteful they are."

Shivaay looked down at his toys sadly, "I don't want to be alone."

"You won't be alone. You'll have Om and the staff will take care of you all and I even asked them to make you one of your favorite treats, chocolate chip cookies!"

"It's not the same. Om is always sleeping. I wish I had a sister like my friends so I could take care of her when you and father were away." He said sadly.

Jhanvi knelt beside him, stroking the top of his head as she looked at him with nothing but love in her eyes.