43. Arthit's Past

Author's pov 

"She is Aanshi's mother, Sanchi." 

Hearing him , Mehak's eyes widened. She once again looked at her photo. Then she noticed that The smile the lady held was quite similar to Aanshi's smile. 

Mehak looked back at Arthit to see how heartbroken he looked. Her heart broke seeing his sad face.

So she is the one!! She thought. 

"Where is she?" Mehak asked him.

"She is no more." Arthit answered, making Mehak gasp in shock. 

"What?" Mehak asked. She never expected to hear something like this. She assumed maybe they were divorced or she left him after giving their child to him.

She turned the page and another photo of a man caught her attention. 

"Who is he?" Mehak asked him .

"My brother, Arjun. " Arthit replied .

"What….where is he? I haven't seen him." Mehak asked. 

Arthit started to tell the biggest part of his life.

" Arjun was my cousin ,Chacha and Chachi's son, a year younger than me. We are born and brought up in Mumbai itself.We all are a happy family, staying together, having fun . I was the most fun loving ,rather than studies I loved sports, music and yes , was very fascinated with cameras and all. And Arjun was exactly opposite of mine….studious, bookworm and calm. Though we were different in nature, we were best friends. 

When I was in class 12 , there came a new family as our neighbour,  Sanchi and her parents. She was a year younger than Arjun.

Sanchi was like me..total mastikhor (fun-loving) ,so we instantly became friends. Arjun took time but he also joined our group.

Years passed and unknowingly  Sanchi made a place in my heart. We were best friends and then I fell in love with her.

But somehow I hid my feelings and never confessed as the fear of ruining our friendship was always in my mind." Arthit said with a smile. Mehak let out a small smile. 

She knew that it was wrong but still she felt jealous of Sanchi.

" When I was 25 , one day Mom caught me ,seeing Sanchi's photo on my phone. She confronted me and I confessed my feelings. 

The very next day, without telling me anything, she went to her house and my marriage proposal was sent to her. 

After I came to know about it , I personally met her and confessed my feelings for her and asked her opinion. She said to me that she didn't have any problem with this proposal. I didn't want to pressurize her.

That was the happiest day of my life. I was going to marry the person I love ." Arthit said with a chuckle. Mehak could see how his eyes looked sad.

"Everything was going nicely. Our engagement was fixed after a month. In between this we met a couple of times. I didn't know why but I felt she was very off. I used to call her regularly but she used to pick up very late in fact sometimes she didn't. I ignored it as I thought maybe due to shyness. 

The day of our engagement came, I was excited as hell. We reached the banquet hall where the engagement was going to happen on time.  Only our close families were invited. I was eagerly waiting on the stage for Sanchi. I didn't know the biggest surprise was waiting for me.

After sometime when Sanchi was called for the ceremony, we expected her to enter from the stairs but we got shocked when she stood at the entrance. The biggest shock was my brother Arjun who was standing beside her and she was in her wedding attire . She was carrying all the signs of a wedded woman --- vermilion, mangalsutra . They announced that they got married as they loved each other. " Arthit said and Mehak gasped in shock.