A Deck of Changed Hearts

The beautiful, yet bloodcurdling tune exploded out from Luz's alarm clock, and it made her and Hooty both jump up from their sweet, sweet slumber, forever cursing their days of sleep to come.

"WHAT IN TITAN'S NAME IS THAT-?!" Hooty put his hands to his ears as Luz hurriedly went over to her alarm clock and slammed her hand on top of it, stopping the obnoxious sound from going off from inside.

Luz took a breath.

"That's my alarm."

"THAT'S YOUR ALARM!?" Hooty yelled out, uncovering his ears as he looked at Luz in horror and pure disgust.

"I mean, it gets its job done." Luz shrugged, getting up from the ground.

"Yeah, if its job is making your ears bleed, then you've got that 100%, Luz Noceda." Hooty looked up at Luz and did his grabby hands. "All this ear bleeding has got me all hungry. Take me to the kitchen to get me some food, hoot!"

Luz rolled her eyes and picked Hooty up, putting him up on her back.

He pointed a finger that directed out the door, and Luz sighed as she properly set down her feet and began charging out the door, only to quickly slow her pace to mess with Hooty.

"Hey! I say onwards my noble stead, not send me flying through the roof! I could've died!" Hooty bonked Luz on the head with his fist, pointing his finger back towards the stairs. "Now with you finally tamed, to the place where food is stored!" Hooty put his head over Luz's shoulder and kicked her side.

"Of course, your highness, to the kitchen I go!" Luz ran out of the hallway and quickly ran down the stairs, almost falling down, she stumbled into the living room and made a bee line for the kitchen, finally making it in when she-

The two had knocked into Amity Blight, who, with a hot coffee in hand, dropped her mug full of coffee onto the floor. The loud noise of the shattered mug pierced all their ears as the extremely hot coffee spilled its remains onto Amity's yellow and white-striped shirt and bland-colored socks.

"FUCK!" Amity had unintentionally yelled out, jumping away from the hot coffee spill.

"Don't curse in front of the children, Amity!" Luz bit, and she turned her head to check on Hooty, who tightly had his hands over his ears, his eyes tightly shut.

"Hooty, are you okay?" She quietly spoke, and Hooty just gave Luz a quick nod as she then moved him over to the living room and carefully put him down onto the couch.

Luz walked back into the kitchen to see Amity with a closed fist in her mouth, sinking her teeth into her knuckles so she wouldn't yell out anything else.

"Oh geez, Amity, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you." Luz spoke a soft and tender voice, being careful to not be too loud as to not hurt Hooty even more, but not quiet enough for Amity not to hear.