19. The Shocking News

Panchali had no idea about where she was. It was a dungeon maybe. The only source of light was the torch that was lit on the corridor.

There was an unbearable pain on the back of her head

There was an unbearable pain on the back of her head. Panchali tried to touch it with her hand but failed to do so as her hands were chained to the wall. She looked at her hands and saw two big chains tying her down. The chains were so big that it was weighing her down. She sighed in defeat. She hoped that the Pandavas would come to rescue her soon. By now, they must have figured it out that she was kidnapped.

Panchali's mind travelled back to the time before she was kidnapped.

She was angry on the Pandavas. For some unknown reason, she was not able to digest the fact that there were other girls in their life before her. She reprimanded herself for feeling so territorial and jealous. They had the right to be with any one they want.

Her mind was preoccupied with these thoughts when she was walking towards the bath. Probably, that's why, she didn't notice the kidnapper lurking behind the pillar, waiting for her to arrive.

Suddenly, she could feel a sharp pain on her neck and head. She whirled down to see who had hit her but, she collapsed before she could see the attacker's face. All she remembers now is that the face of the attacker was hidden with a black cloth. Only his eyes were visible.

Sitting in this dungeon, Panchali couldn't figure if it was day or night outside. She looked here and there but, there was no one around.

She could feel her eyes drooping. Her stomach growled, signalling that she was hungry. All her body parts were aching. She took a deep, shaky breathe as she felt an unbearable pain scooting up her backbone. Where are you Pandavas?

The Pandavas were searching for Panchali like hounds. They asked each and every sentry. The family of Purochan wasn't spared either.

After much interrogation, they got a clue from one of the servants that they did notice Panchali being dragged away by the attacker. They kept mum until now only because the attacker had threatened him.

The Pandavas' fury escalated beyond imagination hearing that. Their Panchali was attacked and they could do nothing about it.

"Did you see where the attacker was taking her?" Nakul gritted through his teeth. His hands were itching to kill that person.

"Y-yes." The servant said, looking down.

"Towards the village prison."

"You mean to say, he has kept our Panchali in a prison?" Bheem almost shouted.

"It's merely a theory Yuvraj. I am not-" Before the servant could continue saying anything further, Yudhisthir let him go.

"Each minute is precious. Remember, we were only given an hour by the kidnapper/attacker." Yudhisthir reminded everyone. He was equally angry but, he can't let his anger to get the best of him. They have to find Panchali at any cost.

"You're right Jyesth. Let us go to the prison." Arjun said. He led the way for the others. The attacker must have forgot who he was dealing with.

It took them no time to reach the prison. There were atleast 20 guards standing by the entrance. The Pandavas beat all of them and entered the prison.

It was dark inside. For a normal person, it would be difficult to see anything but, the Pandavas had the experience to deal with situations like this. They could easily adapt themselves to the darkness and soon they were seeing things almost as clear as daylight.

From the entrance, the prison divulged into two corridors. The Pandavas split into two groups in order to cover both the corridors. Bheem and Arjun went in the right direction and Yudhisthir, Nakul and Sahdev went in the left direction. 

Yudhisthir, Nakul and Sahdev looked through all the cells. Only one cell at the far corner was left now.

As they approached the cell, one step at a time, they could feel the dread filling up their hearts. Their heartbeats quickened. They looked at each other once before peeking at the cell.

What they saw in that cell was their worst nightmare. Sahdev let out a shriek before rushing towards Panchali. "AYONIJA".

Yudhisthir stood rooted on his place. He was too numb to react. How on earth did this happen!

Nakul followed his twin's suit and rushed towards Panchali. She needed them now.

Arjun and Bheem were checking the cells when they heard Sahdev scream. Their fear returned. Was Panchali okay?

They ran to their brothers as quick as they could. When they reached there, the sight that greeted them, killed them from inside. Panchali was lying against the wall like a lifeless body. Her forehead had an ugly bruise. The back side of her neck and head had inflamed to a great extent. Not only that, she was tied against the wall like an animal with huge chains.

Bheem let out a loud cry seeing the inhumane treatment meted out on her. He took her once softer than satin hands in his own callous ones and tore the chains which bounded her, in an instant. On her wrists, the chains left their ugly imprint. He kissed those wounds, wishing to make those disappear.

Feeling the collective touches of Nakul, Sahdev and Bheem, Panchali tried to open her eyes, even though it took all her might to do that simple action. Her eyelashes fluttered and she looked at them through her blurry vision.

"Y-you came." She stuttered.

Arjun closed his eyes, letting the tear drops fall. She believed that they would come for her rescue.

"Krishnaa, we will punish the person who tried to hurt you so brutally." Arjun promised.

"Dhananjay-" Before Panchali could protest, Yudhisthir sealed her lips. He had come out of his stupor by now.

"Arjun is right, Panchali. Not everyone deserves your forgiveness." Yudhisthir explained. He wanted to kill that person too.

Nakul and Sahdev, bandaged her wounds  by tearing their angavastras. Once they were done, Bheem lifted her up in bridal style into his arms. Panchali blushed but then smiled at him before hiding her face in his chest.

Yudhisthir held her hands and Arjun held her feet. They were about to get out of the cell, when they were stopped by Purochan and ten other villagers.

"Yuvraj, you can't go just yet." Purochan smirked.

The Pandavas looked at each other. What was wrong with Purochan?

"Rajkumar Vrikodar, atleast have the minimum decency to put Drupad Kanya down in the presence of us." One of the villagers shouted from behind

Bheem's hold on Panchali tightened in return. She looked at Bheem and then at the rest.

"Purochan ji-" Before Arjun could ask anything Purochan interrupted him.

"We have bought attires for you all. The five of you're getting married today with Rajkumari Panchali." Purochan announced casually.

The Pandavas could feel the ground slip from under their feet. Was this man out of his mind?

Panchali couldn't handle the shock. She fainted.

"PANCHALI." The collective shouts of the Pandavas was the last thing she heard before slipping into darkness.