30. Pacifying Panchali - I

The Pandavas were in a dilemma now. They were actually devising a plan about making Purochan to pay for his crimes. The reason why they didn't want to include Panchali in it was because she had faced a lot already. They didn't want to give her more stress.

Nonetheless, they somehow managed to offend Panchali. Not only that, she was also disappointed. She was expecting them to allow her to go to Dwaraka. But, how could they when they were planning out something so risky? They would atleast need a few days more to come up with a plan. Only then, they can go to Dwaraka. After coming back from Dwaraka, once they will be able to make sure that she was safe and with them at every moment, they can think about putting their plan into action.

Purochan might have forgotten that the Pandavas were the greatest warriors of Aryavarta. The circumstances might have tied their hands to take revenge right there and then but, now he would have to deal with the husbands of Panchali. Not just them, but her brothers, her fathers and the whole armies of Hastinapur, Dwaraka and Panchali too, if needed.

Ignoring all that for now, the Pandavas had a bigger problem to worry about now and that was 'a very angry and sad wife'. They could win numerous battles but, when it came to the battles about the heart, they were still novice.

"Jyesth, what are we supposed to do now?" Nakul looked at his elder brother. He thought that like as all the other things, his elder brother must have an answer with him for matters like as this one too.

"I don't know, Nakul." Yudhisthir was worried. If it was something about politics and diplomacy, he could easily answer it all. But, how was he supposed to know about the answers related to the pacification of an angry wife.

"Arjun, you used to be the most desirable bachelor of Aryavarta. A lot of girls were crazy about you. Can't you tell us something?" Bheem asked his younger sibling. He knew as many recipes as one could master in a lifetime related to cooking but, when it came to love, he knew nothing.

"Jyesth, why are you asking me? You know that very well that my only love was archery and my Gandiva until Panchali came into our lives." Arjun said.  He was a warrior. Only now he has become a lover and a husband.

"Sahdev, you say something. You've read a number of books." Nakul looked at his twin in desperation

"Jyesth, in those books, nothing have been written about what to do when a wife is angry." Sahdev grumbled. If he got the solution, maybe he can write a book on it instead.

Right at that moment, Duryodhan and Dusshasan entered their chamber. They were there to talk about the wedding but, what they saw before them, surprised them. The faces of the Pandavas were looking as big as a saucer.

"Jyesth, is everything okay? You all look so worried." Duryodhan asked while taking a seat next to Yudhisthir.

"Yes, tell us what is disturbing you all." Dushasan urged them to share whatever was disturbing them.

"Panchali is angry." Nakul grumbled like a kid.

"Huh?" Duryodhan was confused.

"We asked Panchali to wait for a week more to go to the wedding and now she's offended." Arjun explained the reason behind the sadness.

Duryodhan and Dushasan looked at each other for a moment and then broke out into a loud laughter hearing that.

Their brothers were worried about their little sister. Love did work in mysterious ways. For example, look at the mightiest of the warriors. Their enemies were afraid of them and here they are afraid of their wife. Panchali has surely wrapped them all around her little finger.

"You all are afraid of my sister." Duryodhan somehow controlled his laugh and said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Jyesth, isn't that obvious already?" Dushasan didn't want the opportunity to tease his brothers to slip.

"Dushasan!" Yudhisthir tried to warn his brother.

"Jyesth, you're the one who's in hot waters here with your wife. Not us." Dushasan teased him again.

"Help us then!" Bheem asked his cousins for help. He knew that Duryodhan and Dushasan must have some kind of expertise in this matter since both of them were courting  Bhanumati and Charumati respectively.

"We will, but only for our sister's sake. We don't want to ses her sad." Duryodhan stated.

"We know that you are denying her request for her own safety. Until Purochan is punished, we must be careful." He added.

The Pandavas were not a bit surprised when Duryodhan was easily able to understand their dilemma. That's how the touchwood between the brothers generally work. Each of them knows exactly what the other is upto.

"Dushasan, go and get Malini." Duryodhan ordered his younger brother.

Dushasan did as he was asked. He went and called Malini, Panchali's handmaiden and friend.

Malini came there within minutes.

"Ji Yuvraj, Rajkumar Dushasan had told me that you wanted me to come here." Malini said while bowing down a bit in reverence.

"Yes Malini. You're like a sister to me since you're my sister's friend." He said while passing her a generous smile.

"I know that, Yuvraj." Malini smiled back.

"So, can you help this brother of yours? Please." Duryodhan requested.

"Yes, of course." She readily agreed.

"I want you to go and call Panchali here by making some excuse. Don't tell her that we are here. Otherwise, she might deny it." Duryodhan said. Now, Malini was confused. He wanted her to lie to the Yuvrani. But why?

Duryodhan could deduce it from Malini's changing facial expressions that she must be confused.

"Don't worry. You'll understand it all once Panchi comes here." He explained.

Malini nodded and took her leave.

As Malini exited from the chamber, she thought about where Panchali could go. If she isn't with her husbands and her brothers, then she must either be with Rajmata Gandhari and Rajmata Kunti or with Pitamah. Trusting her conscience, she decided to go towards the meeting room at first.

To her luck, Panchali was there. She was talking animatedly with Pitamah and Mahamantri Vidur. Only when she walked a bit closer, she was able to hear what she was saying. From the bits of conversation that she was able to grasp, she understood that Panchali was angry at the Pandavas over something. Probably that is why, Yuvraj Duryodhan must have asked her to go and bring back her Sakhi.

"Ahemmm Pitamah, can I say something?" Malini asked meekly.

"Yes, go on." Pitamah urged her to ask whatever she wanted to while gesturing her with his hand.

Vidur and Panchali were looking at her in puzzlement.

"Rajkumar Duryodhan has asked me to call Yuvrani to her chamber. He needs her help with something." Malini blurted out the first thing that came into her mind as an excuse. 

"Well, okay. Our discussion is over as well. Panchi, you should go with Malini now. I will see what I can do with your husbands." Saying that he half hugged Panchali and patted her on her head lovingly. 

Panchali passed him a smile and joined Malini. However, Malini didn't miss out the suspicious looks that Panchali was giving her.

"Are you sure that it's just my Bhrata Duryodhan who's calling me?" Panchali asked her friend as they walked back together.

"Yes yes. Why would I lie?" Malini gulped with nervousness. Yet she didn't show it before Panchali. Instead she faked a scowl on her face.

"Alright then." Panchali shrugged and went along with Malini to her chamber.