worry - h.v.

worry

pairing: hank voight x reader

summary: hank decides something for you and an argument arises in the precinct when you don't take it lightly.

word count: 1.2k

warning: some angst with fluff ending.

(this was requested)

hank was having a hard time lately with everything going on around him

hank was having a hard time lately with everything going on around him. a year ago, his adoptive daughter, who was your best friend, left for the fbi after getting caught in a difficult situation. after erin left, hank leaned on alvin. you knew you were younger then him but he was the last piece there that you had of erin and whether he liked it or not, you started talking to him more.

little by little you learned things about him that you never thought you would know and you realized, this was the man erin talked about. you never believed how soft and delicate he could be around a person.

he's always so tense and rough around the edges when you and the team worked on a case at intelligence. usually you just took her word when she'd bring up something hank happened to say or do when you drank with her at molly's.

when you were at your desk and working, hank would sneak glances your way. he liked the way you chewed on your bottom lip when you thought. or when the case ran late, your guilty pleasure was sneaking chocolate. he'd catch you knowing you were one to have a candy drawer.

sometimes, adam tried getting into it and when he grabbed a bag or bar of candy, you'd slap his hands away and give him a little piece. it was hilarious, especially when you handed other team members more than you gave him. but, at the end you always fell for his puppy dog eyes and gave him a bigger piece then the original one.

as you laughed with the team about adam's silliness, that's when hank couldn't couldn't keep his eyes off of you. you just had this thing about you. when you mischievously gave adam hell, there was a twinkle in your eye every. single. time. there was moments when alvin chuckled and looked towards hank's way to see if he cared about the banter in the room.

without a doubt he could hear what was happening from his office, especially with the door open. hank's best friend picked up on his slight crush on you and couldn't help smirking when hank caught him noticing his secret.

one late night, you were stuck with paperwork and alvin came back to grab his jacket that he noticed he left when he went to the car. when he walked up the stairs he noticed you perched on the arm of one of hank's office chairs. you were telling hank about the day and if alvin walked up one more step, he knew he'd be caught.

he could see the smile clearly on hank's face and turned back around, risking the coldness for his friend's happiness.

but when alvin was framed for the murder of the man who killed justin, hank began blowing you off. his face was always in a file or up against the phone. even when you invited him somewhere or just went into his office to ask a question. and you didn't take offense, you knew how difficult it was and hoped he could get alvin out and free of the charges.

you could see the black circles under his eyes and the lack of sleep he was getting so you brought him a coffee each morning from a shop downtown. hank deserved the best and you gave it to him instead of the crappy coffee there.

today, you could feel some tension in the air when you handed him the cup though.

things went from good to bad all in the span of not even ten minutes.

"i know things have been a little," hank paused, looking around the room. "different but now we're short on a team member so i need to make your partner's official until further notice." after erin left, you were jay's new partner and lately the two of you worked well together. it was saddening to hear what was coming next.

"kim and antonio will stay partners and so will adam and kevin. jay your new partner is hailey and y/n, you're with me." he ended his sentence with a glance in your direction to see your eyes wide. "what?" you questioned.

jay put his hand on your arm as if to say 'it's ok' but you didn't understand why the other's were able to keep their current partner but you were being changed. "why what?" he asked with the raspy deep tone he used whenever he was talking in his leader's voice.

"why am i being switched but others aren't?" you asked again, scoffing. this time without leaving any detail out to be mistaken. "because i said so y/-" he started to say your name but you cut him off before he could give any more lame excuses. you put your hand up as if to tell him to stop. "no i want to know why, hank." you mocked angrily.

kevin sighed loudly but more like let out a nervous breath as if to hint at steering the topic conversation before it got any worse. you ignored his suggestion and glared in voight's direction, awaiting a response.

"why do you always have to be so difficult, y/n?" he asked and the other team members walked downstairs, not wanting to get into it. but before they were out of hearing range hank yelled.

"you know what, i'll just tell you. it's because i love you y/n! is that a good enough reason? i've lost erin. my son. i'm this close to losing alvin. i can't seem to get the damn train moving on dropping his case and i'm losing my mind. i don't want to worry about losing you too. if you're in my eyesight then i won't. please just give me this?"

he was out of breath and heaving at this point and all you could do was stare at him with an open mouth of surprise. adam cheered from downstairs since he could tell something was up with you and hank lately.

kim thwacked him on the back of the head with the bad timing he had. hailey put a hand up to her mouth to hide her smirk and jay couldn't believe hank liked you. antonio was just happy that you could keep hank in line and didn't mind the age gap you shared.

"okay." you finally said, not being able to think of anything else. you were still trying to process what you just heard. his brow furrowed at your response and he scratched the back of his neck in thought. "o-okay?" he replied with confusion in what you said.

"okay." you smiled and got up from your desk. hank watched you walk over slowly and didn't want to move, in worry of scaring you off. after you were right in front of him, you leaned up on your tippy-toes and put your arms around his neck.

he kept quiet and waited patiently for your next step. he could hear his heart beat wildly in nervousness.

hank still couldn't believe he told you how he felt. he'd been bottling it up higher and higher. all your sweet gestures and the way you were there for him every second of the day really kept him together. hank didn't know what he'd do if he was ever without you in his life. you crushed his worriedness though when you leaned in and gave him a sweet kiss.

a kiss that changed his whole life from then on.