important - k.a

important

pairing: kevin atwater x reader

summary: you ask kevin's sister vinessa for help while kevin is at work for the day and he can't help but adore you when he discovers what you've been working on.

word count: 1.1k

(this was requested)

you didn't want to tell kevin the issues you were having

you didn't want to tell kevin the issues you were having. it wasn't out of shame, because you weren't feeling that way. but it was definitely the amount of embarrassment you felt.

kevin had long nights at work as it is. some cases were so awful that you could tell when he was feeling a little down. you had some experience anyway with picking up emotions.

you were jay's younger sister and a bit more hopeful to repair your relationship with your father. when you finally felt enough was enough, you moved to chicago to be closer to jay and your other brother will.

that's when you met kevin one night at molly's. jay brought you along to meet his colleagues, so you had more people in chicago and you immediately hit it off with kevin.

of course, jay gave the bigger brother speech and you all laughed about it after. will was okay with kevin as well, having met him before quite a couple times due to their jobs overlapping sometimes.

now almost three years later, you were married and living with kevin in the house he grew up in. you knew he wanted to keep it due to the childhood memories and the fact he raised his siblings in this house. you sat on the couch, your eight-month-old daughter in your lap, watching a cartoon.

you were blessed with how calm she was, she was an easy baby. your daughter was the most adorable, cute, and amazing baby you've ever had the pleasure of meeting, especially mothering.

unfortunately, her curly hair was itching your neck and you sighed, disappointed in yourself. you've seen youtube videos, googled and even had even seen a few movies before of woman doing their hair. you just could never seem to do it correctly despite even the slow-paced videos.

kevin's sister usually helped with you with her hair if you called. but now you just needed to figure out how to do it yourself. she had a life of her own and you knew you couldn't depend on vinessa forever.

so, after about fifteen minutes she appeared and you put your sweet girl in her chair that secured her before answering the door. "hey girl! and how's my favorite niece?" she joked to herself mostly.

the two of you walked back into the living room and she picked up her niece, cooing in her face. you grabbed the remote, turning down the volume and placed it back down on the table again.

you walked around her and scoffed with your hands on your hips even though not being offended in the slightest. "you mean your only niece?"

she babbled cutely to the baby and you smiled. "doesn't mean she can't be my favorite. aren't you sweetheart?" she replied and directed her next question towards your daughter.

even though she had no idea what vinessa was saying, she let out a tiny baby laugh at her aunt and your smile only widened from there. "if i ever have a baby, i want mine to be as sweet and calm as yours." she commented.

you sat down and vinessa took note, walking to sit down on the couch with you, your daughter still in her hands. "i know i called you about why i wanted you to come over here." you paused, composing yourself.

sighing, you continued, "but i was wondering if you could teach me properly how to do her hair? we've tried a few times but i would really like to have the skill of doing it myself."

vinessa pouted a little, "awe, i'm going to miss the five hundred text messages you send about me doing her hair three times a day, twenty-one times a week."

you chuckled. "it's not that bad! don't over-exaggerate my neediness for your help nessa!" she smiled at your usage of her nickname.

"i'm just teasing you. i really don't mind though but i'd be honored to teach you the correct manner. it'll take a few days to master it but i know you're determined so i wouldn't be surprised if, with the proper steps and explanation that you get it tonight." she explained, your baby still watching the screen.

you weren't sure how she could sit and stare at the screen, especially with what was on but i guess in her point of view it was interesting. you told vinessa you were getting the comb and a tie for her hair and came back a moment later.

"so, i was thinking we can leave it curly, i love how wild these curls are." vinessa said, running a finger along her hair, admiring it. you added to her statement. "what about if we put it in cute bun and i could put a bow in the front of it? with one of her outfits i have in mind, it would look so cute!"

she agreed and smiled, putting your baby, her niece into a three-in-one entertainer. about three and a half hours in, neither of you realized the time and kevin walked through the front door.

"hey babe!" you voiced and kev set his keys on the hook before making his way to you. he bent down, giving you a sweet, big kiss on your cheek.

sneakily, while you were distracted, he grabbed your wine glass for a quick swig and took the scene in, in front of him. "hi baby, and baby, and vinessa. what's all this?" he asked, raising a brow in vinessa's direction, noticing the wine bottle to the left of her.

kev glanced back at you and grinned at his joke. he was happy that you were having girl time. kev knew you were close with hailey and kim but he loved the fact you and vinessa were practically best friends.

he even hung up a picture frame from about six months ago. you, vinessa, and your baby were wearing identical outfits and he couldn't not take a picture of the three most important people, women, in his life.

"well, y/n is learning how to do your babies hair." kevin's sister said, and his eyes immediately softened. they almost glistened at the honest comment that meant so much to him.

so of course your eyes started tearing up to. "ok, this is getting too serious for my niece and i, see you guys later." vinessa took her niece and covered her eyes while quickly departing. she walked upstairs to the baby room to let you have some time alone.

knowing exactly how kevin was going to show his appreciation, she gagged at the thought. you and kev laughed together, and vinessa rolled her eyes hearing you 'mocking' her.

"wow babe. i knew i loved you but words can't express how much i do. wanna renew our vows?" kev winked and you laughed, slapping his arm.

as soon as you touched him though, your cheeks flamed seeing his intense, serious eyes taking in the tank top you put on earlier today.

you loved him so much.