better - upstead

better

pairings: jay halstead x hailey upton and adam ruzek x hailey upton

summary: hailey is faced with a difficult decision regarding her relationship status and comes to terms with her feelings about jay and adam.

word count: 1.7k

warning note: this is a third person point of view story with *no reader. it is subtle mfm-ish at beginning but the ending is mf with upstead (jay and hailey). ruzek does not up heartbroken.

edited note: i just realized in season 8 on how she talks about the fact that she's better with jay. and i just noticed how canon this is even though i totally forgot she said that. oops! lol

hailey has been partners with jay for years and never mistook their friendship for something more until today

recently, she and adam broke up. relationships for her were hard and she just wanted some space and time to think.

she didn't want to disrupt the work atmosphere. especially being as voight was hard on them as it is with in-work relationships.

what she didn't know either was that adam still liked her that much to stand up to his friend. he couldn't let the pretty, intelligent, one of a kind blonde woman get away before they even had a chance to become a serious couple.

for them it was always fun with no feelings or stress involved. it hurt him that hailey hadn't wanted to become serious before they ended.

instead, adam figured hailey had painted this picture that he was poking around to make room in her life that she didn't want.

jay also liked hailey but didn't know how to go about it. he liked having her as his partner, it was easy to be with her when they were in the field.

always having her back no matter what. even during cases, they always trusted each other's instincts. jay could even go as far to say that he fell in love with hailey. he couldn't deny the possibility that they were destined soulmates.

the idea of being with her every second of every day, including the mornings and nights. jay wanted to know what it felt like to truly see hailey's guard down and not only see the reactions made by her conscious when they were working on a case.

with adam though, she was able to let go and just be. they never fought or argued about any disagreements. if they wanted to go to the bar, they'd make jokes and laugh. or if they went clubbing, they danced and drank with no care.

it was easy with adam to just be herself. but jay, she always seemed to want to be better for him.

better.

a word she never thought she'd ever use in her life. sure, she wanted her dad to do better when she was younger, but knew he was just another lost cause.