Chapter-2

"Is she okay, doctor?"

"Of course let's wait till she recovers."

The door shuts.

I wake up to certain noises in the background. Blink. Blink again. I cover my eyes to stop the scorching light from coming in. when I finally open it again accommodating the brightness of my surrounding, I notice him sitting beside me. Same brown orbs and minty scent.

I bolt upright on the bed. What happened? Where am I?

"Here let me help", Karan helps me rest my back on a comfortable pillow.

I need answers.

"What happened? Where am I?" same questions. I shoot like a gun.

"Hold on. Hold on." He reaches for the glass of water on the bedside table. "Sip up; it will make you feel better."

The cool glass feels good against my shaky lips. The water feels heavenly going down my system. It calms me down.

I look around myself - white walls, glass doors, windows with dull curtains, and a small couch. My clothes? I was wearing a maroon dress and now it is a ...light blue gown. Shit! Hospital gown. I am in a hospital.

"I was near the pond." I shudder. I was so panicked then.

"I think you were inside it when I pulled you out." Fuck. I remember I was choking and the water was deep. "We were searching you everywhere and I was leaving home when I heard you scream."

"Oh. So you brought me here?" I touch my hair. It's damp.

"Yeah", he says.

"You ...jumped in to save me?" I ask uncertainly. He wouldn't do that. Right?

"No. I sucked you out with a vacuum cleaner", he jokes. Of course, he jumped in. He was still in the clothes from last night and they were wrinkled and dirty.

"Thanks."

"I am happy to help."

"You need to rest too. I'm sorry if I caused you much trouble." I say.

He pauses and raises his hand towards me. I flinch but it only caresses my cheek. It feels good and cold. My cheeks warm up from the touch. Maybe they even got a pinkish shade.

"You got a cut there. I'll send the doctor." He withdraws his hand as if something crept up him pulling his hand back. I felt dejected.

"By the way the, since the accident happened to be under college premises. The management called your parents. They thought it would be good to inform." What! This was just an accident. What am I? Four?

"You are expected there at five. I'll pick you up. Take rest."

"Can I call Naina?" Maybe I'll ask her to look after Mom and Dad till they let me out of here.

"I already called in fact she just left now to change." He says. "Just rest."

I nod.

He leaves shutting the door. Stay. I wanted to say.

I am left alone in the room and it's getting colder. I must get used to here's temperature. I pull the blanket up to my face cutting myself from the cold outside hiding behind the fabric. My eyes start to feel heavy, closing them I dream...Sunset, deep water, damp hair, and...brown eyes.

"You're all set to go." The doctor says putting a bandage over my left cheek.

She leaves leaving the door open for Karan to walk in.