Chapter- 15

Karan drives us to central Park. It's fifteen past six when we reach the hall. Karan is dressed in a black suit to escort me. Kyra is dressed in a turquoise lacy dress and her hair is pulled up in a messy bun and her face bears a lot of makeup. She looks breathtaking.

I am dressed in my full sleeves shirt and faded blue jeans with my freshly parlor-ed hair and nails. Yeah, right I don't fit in.

The red carpet just starts on the staircase which leads us to a massive hall. A fairytale ballroom!

I remember how much I wanted to be a part of the fairy universe and by age, the inclination towards fantasy had worn away. But this is real.

Looking at both of my friends I feel too understated. I could have chosen something good and formal from my closet but I wanted to have a pleasant non-anxious mood.

The room is warmed up with LED lightning from huge chandeliers and staff members are serving expensive drinks.

Karthik is dressed in a formal tuxedo as he comes forward giving us a warm greeting.

"This way ladies." He escorts us backstage in a fashionable formal way.

I take a quick look over the stage area. A huge T platform with rows upon rows of chairs on either side. The first row of seats is painted in gold for the V.I.P. seating.

Overhead spotlights are switched off. I think they'll open up the area at nine.

I would be walking over that area. The thought threatens me but doesn't completely shake me. In fact, I'm amazed that I don't feel as underconfident and panicked as I thought I'll be.

Good progress is shown! I mentally pat my back.

"Room no. 24." He says and hands me the keys. "All the kinds of stuff have been kept."

We nod. He goes away.

"Where are you going?" I ask Karan.

"I have some urgent work. I gotta go." He shoves his phone in his pant pocket.

"I thought you were staying", I whine.

"I'll be back before you even reach the aisle."

I don't respond but I can feel my face fall.

"It's a promise." He says. "Moreover you're gonna rock it. it is something I'm really sure of. I wouldn't miss it for heaven."

It makes me smile. "Okay."

He climbs down the stairs and saunters towards the main gate and I watch him go. He doesn't turn back. Just rushes out.

"Start?" Kyra asks unpacking my dress.

I won't lie. The very first time I saw this attire, there was a little part of me that wanted it, even only for once.

But I brushed the thought away. And now I would be wearing it, not just wearing but modeling for it. I scoff. Life is so unpredictable sometimes.

I sit in front of the mirror. Kyra works on my hair, tying some of the tendrils in a knot behind my back and leaving the rest across my neck. She fastens a barrette and some white flowers just above the knot.

Next, she works on my makeup. She sprays something on my face and then takes out a makeup box.

My mom brought me this box when I was in kindergarten but I rather used it to paint papers and fine white walls of my room.

She begins painting my face. After an hour she helps me change into the gown.

The fabric glides up my smooth shaved limbs. She fastens the straps behind my back exposing my cleavage and next I step into my heels.