Chapter-26

It's been four weeks since I didn't talk to some important people in my life. My dad didn't call me; neither did my mom or Karthik. Well, Karthik is out of the discussion currently because I was the one who turned my back towards him in the first place. Besides his numerous attempts to sort everything back between us.

But the thing is it all has been so much lately. I didn't get time to think or maybe I don't want to. I'm confused.

And there's nothing I can do to solve this confusion. This puzzle.

My day starts just like the previous ones from the past four weeks. Wake up, work and obviously avoid Karthik at work which rather than getting used to I'm getting bad at it.

I miss a friend. Maybe I should talk to him. None of this is his fault.

There is it.

I knock on his cabin door.

"Come in."

"Karthik."

"Look who decided to show up." He says sarcastically, his eyes still on a file he's working at.

"What is that fragrance?" a very strong odor clogs my nose, but what's surprising is that it lights emotions that I can't actually describe. Ineffable.

"I'm stinking. Had been working out."

"Oh?"

"What is it?" I look at him with confusion. "Why are you here? I thought you needed space."

"I did." I try and say. "Look I know, you have been hurt and I apologize for it. Things have not been easy lately..." he listens to me attentively. "Everyone was like hell to me that day...your classmates; they were harassing me. Then the counselor and then my dad; he saw us close and misunderstood everything...and I wanted to escape and –

"Someone to blame for everything." He interrupts.

"yes," I say with guilt.

"So why not blame me." He says hurting. He approaches me menacingly. Slowly pushing me until I crash to the table behind me. "And you didn't even think that maybe you should have told me how other students treated you in the hallway." His eyes bore to mine. They are the darkest I have ever seen.

His jaw tightens. I feel like a child standing in front of him, on my toes to cope with his height. "What would you have done if I told you?"It is starting to get uncomfortable now. Maybe it's the cologne I'm breathing in or maybe the one who it's coming from.

"I don't know, but anything to make you feel safe. Anything to protect you."

I laugh. "I'm enough to fight for myself. Remember that gut punch." I say tearing up a bit.

His emotions shift from intense to light and he chuckles. "Of course."

I don't think I have ever noticed him this way but now when he stands close to me his arms are on either side of my body, pinning me to the table. His dark sweat matted hair goes with his sharp spiky facial hair, along the blunt jawline.

The phone ring distracts both of us.

"Hello...yah sure...completely....I understand." He talks over the phone. "Something came up. Mom needs me to deal with it urgently."

"I understand."

"Where are you headed?"

"College," I say.

"I thought you don't need to attend classes after your flying grades." He says feigning envy. It makes me laugh.

"Yeah just need to pick up my syllabus and other stuff for the next exam," I say.