Chapter-38

Luckily my fundraising is doing excellent. There were over three hundred bookings in the first hour itself.

After selling tickets for Christmas Ball, I and Naina return to the cafeteria.

"I am jealous", she says and watches her in confusion.

"What for?"

"The Society for Prevention of Foundlings and Abandoned. How come you were so thoughtful for this campaign and I wasn't?"

I chuckle. "Is it you or your journalism self?"

She laughs. "Anyway, I am proud of you." She says with equal determination.

"Thank you", I say.

If only a few more people could say this. Including Karthik who seems to have been avoiding me lately.

My feet stop outside our club. The bucket list. And I immediately know where to find him. Sitting in the same circle and greeted by familiar faces I look into the board. Poems are our today's activity.

"Words have been ruling hearts right from the beginning, however..." our clubhead begins but I get distracted from a heavy shift in the chair beside me. Karthik looks at me in disbelief. None of us say anything to break the flow of this meeting. We concentrate on listening to people and their poetry.

Words have always given me a hard time. But Karthik turns out to be a pro in it. he scribbles on his notepad while I stare at my blank page.

On the podium, he is introduced and he begins looking at me with guilt in his eyes.

"My heart pains carrying blocks,
of pain, longing, and unshed tears.
I remember holding you close,
insecure,
what if not worthy enough.
Then I used to stare at those orbs
they used to tell me,
imperfectly perfect."

"Please avoid me no more," I say as we disperse coming out of the room.

"I am so sorry about that, I felt so ashamed ...and was afraid...and.."

"I get it", I say. "You stopped before you hit me. Things get heated and out of control and that doesn't mean we start avoiding the consequences."

His head is hanging low and somewhere in mind, he is playing the same scenario over his head.

We sit in the locked car in silence before it gets hard for me to stay away from him. My mouth inches forward until he can't control it anymore. My lips meet his and after so long it gives a sense of satisfaction.

"I am sorry", he says.

"I am too", he rests his head in my neck and inhales sending shivers. "Come to the dance with me?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the iron throne baby", I laugh along with him. And even blush a little at his endearment.