Chapter-20

I am sitting outside of the council chamber and it's five in the evening. Kunal works for the college newspaper and is the one who uploaded that damn video inside the office with Karan and Karthik.

I wonder what they are doing in there.

A few minutes later, Kunal walks out of the office with a gloomy face and bloodshot eyes. Smiling at me he walks out.

Well, that was weird.

I feel ironic as Karthik and Karan walk towards me calmly and their steps sync together. None of them willing to let one ahead. Although Karthik is a bit more muscular than him, they slightly resemble each other's mirror image. They are so likely unlike each other.

"We were successful in wiping out the silly video of all the social media accounts and all other groups formed by the student community," Karthik says but the entire time my eyes are on Karan.

He is not making eyes with me, looking past me, always. His cheek still holds the red mark from the morning. After Karthik is done talking he walks away as if nothing happened.

Turn back, for once. But he walks past the silver door.

"Come I'll drop you," Karthik says.

We are quiet on our entire journey. We arrive at the street my apartment stands on and beside the sidewalk I see children playing on the lawn of the orphanage.

"Drop me here please. I'll manage."

"Are you sure?" he asks.

"Yeah. Thanks." I fake a smile.

His car whirrs off.

I stand there listening to the carefree laughter of these kids. Their caretaker takes them inside as it darkens.

The sun has already set and the streetlights are on. Vendors have opened up along the street selling flowers, snacks, books, calendars, ice cream, etc.

I just wanna hang out in this busy company for a while. It feels at peace. Sitting on a bench I begin to wonder, where did I go wrong? I ring my granny again.

"Excuse me", a voice distracts me from my thoughts. "I have been looking at you passed twenty minutes. What exactly are you thinking?" Alina says as she sits beside me.

"Nothing." I shake my head. "What are you doing here? Isn't your home like ten miles away."

"I came for an environment change."

"Oh"

"I came to know about –

"Yeah." I cut her off.

"I'm not here to judge you. You surely had your own reasons."

"Thanks."

Yeah, I did have my own reasons. I was frustrated that he doesn't want to..., I was sad that I lost my best friend and angry because he wanted things to fall back as they were. My anger couldn't be just on that.

That was because you knew you could never pretend as if something never happened. My inner self grits her teeth at me.

"So you going?" Alina asks me.

"To where?"

"There's a party at the nightclub." She says. "It's weekend!"

"I am not really in the mood." I try and make an excuse.

"Exactly and you need to change your mood." She says.

In the past months that I have been here, I haven't found a single soul like me. Everyone is pushy. Alina is pushy too. But it doesn't sound like a bad idea. "Who all are coming?"