Chapter-25

Chapter-25

We breathed the last scent of spirituality in Banares on Sunday before we flew back.

Today is the day that I was dreading since last Saturday. The way that horrific night ended I would be lying if I say that I'm prepared for today.

"Hello. Dad."

"Good luck with your results." His tone is monotonous. Why do dads have to be this way? Their voices never connect to the words they say.

"Thanks."

"Your Professor called." Fuck! Did I fail? "Shekhar...is it?"

"Yes Shekhar, he teaches history. Did he say something?" My voice is impatient.

"He asked me to visit. Is something wrong?" He asks strictly.

"No...I don't know why he called?"

"Will see after I meet him?"

No! No! He is coming. Shit!

I hear whispers behind my back but as soon as I turn towards them, they disappear. I'm not surprised. At all. I think my conscience pictured it before. There are loud and cheery grins all over me as I cross the hallway.

"Isn't she the one who punched that guy on the nose?" I hear a guy say behind my back. His laugh is evil. And so are those faces who are enjoying a show. "The badass one."

"You mean someone's got a really really bad ass." I freeze dead. His tone is slippery at first and shifts to breathy all at once.

I feel a heated gaze on my back. It's sickening. But for some reason, my feet don't work. Crap! My fingernails dig into my palms and my toes curl as the guy stands in front of me, close to me.

God, please. "Why did you punch him?"

"He tried to touch me." I snap.

"So you're gonna hit me now babe?" His fingers brush my neck. I recoil.

The bell rings. Gosh!

"Everyone towards your room." The in-charge shouts.

I rush to the washroom instead. I knew something appalling will happen to me, but I must say I wasn't prepared for this.

"Hey, are you okay?" A girl asks but I don't wait to respond rather rush to the corner most stall.

My eyes burn and my head throbs. I scratch my left eyebrow to ease the pain. I have never been shamed before and I feel bullied. I'm safe behind his door. It separates me from the rest of the cruel world.

"Hey, are you okay?" Alina's voice makes me tear up. "I know you're in there."

"I'm fine." I pretend to escape the inquisition but rather she takes both of us by surprise as she encloses me between her arms. "I'm wanna go home." I cry.

"Will do after results, okay?"

I nod.

I sit outside the counselor's office in a long row of chairs, waiting for my turn. My legs bounce in an attempt to ease the anxiety. People won't stop giving me filthy looks. And they are just people, will enjoy rumors, pass them on, bully you and leave. Doesn't matter what they are doing to you; even if you are dragging yourself through the shattered remains of your heart which now hurt like glass pieces.

My turn finally comes and I knock on Shekhar sir's door.

"Come here, sit." He beams and I scorn this tone. It doesn't match what I'm feeling right now.