Chapter-27

I wake up to the beautiful shiny October morning feeling someone's heated breaths on me. The rain has stopped indicating to me that I should leave. Karthik is fast asleep beside me breathing deeply. His dark hair is messy and my fingers itch to take hold of them again.

I still have my bathrobe on. Nothing happened. I remember I slept after we ...kissed? Or made out? Maybe even cuddled a bit in sleep which explains why still I'm locked up between his arms.

I untangle myself from him pulling the blanket off to reveal his bare chest which has a dragon tattooed on his skin. I may have not noticed it in the dark. It's fascinating. My fingers move forward to trace the ink across his chest but the possibility of waking him up stows my hand. I'll let him rest peacefully for some time.

I sit under the hot shower overthinking, rationalizing the chaos. He and ...we surely have more than what coworkers do. Last night I too gave up the control and let my emotions rule me. I was attracted to him as much as he did. And it was the only thing that felt real after so long.

Let's just go with the flow. I repeat.

I turn off the shower tap to listen carefully to what he is doing on the other side of the door; getting out of bed, looking for me near the balcony, getting out of the room, coming in again, and then shutting the door. He doesn't come again.

I peek out of the washroom in a towel. There's no sign of him. He would never invade my privacy this way. On the bed, there are my freshly laundered clothes.

After dressing up with my anxious steps, I head towards the kitchen. He is cooking again. Now in a t-shirt, I must mention. "Good morning," I say.

"Good morning", he replies. Still has his back towards me. Did I freak him out? Shit.

And then he turns towards me. Our eyes meet for a brief second before I immediately cast them down. "Your hair is wet." He brushes some loose tendrils across my face.

"Hey son, I'm back...oh I didn't know you had company." We both jump to the sudden voice in the room.

"Mom", Karthik begins but her mother cuts him off.

"Mira, I heard about your internship." She says happily. "Do you know how proud I am?"

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"You can keep the professional boundaries away when you're not working."

I nod.

"I'll go shower." He leaves.

"What was he making?" she sniffs the kitchen. "Bread butter. Seriously? Tell me he wasn't feeding you this."

"I'm okay," I say.

"I'm more than happy to cook."

"I'll help."

We start gathering groceries from the cupboard. Her hands work efficiently on the utensils. Thank god she doesn't bang them like her son.

"Do you know how to cook?" she asks.

"Yes. I love cooking."

"Bless us with your cookery skills sometimes." She says while kneading the flour with her soft motherly hands.

"Will do."

"What are your plans?" she asks the dreadful question again. "It's okay. Tell me how you feel."

"Listless for now. Honestly speaking, I don't know."

"It's okay as long as you focus on your present. Your future will already be made."