Chapter-29

"Are you even listening?"

"Huh? Yes, I am." I lie to Rachel. I have been staring at Karthik and the bundle of red lipstick chokingly close to each other near the coffee corner.

"I knew it," she exclaims.

"What?" I ask.

"Something was on between you two. You and sir definitely have something." That obvious huh?

"It's nothing." I try to brush it off.

"There's no point hiding anything." She says. "C'mon tell, which level? Something called penetration?" She grins impishly.

"Alright, sexual jokes aside." I hiss at her in embarrassment. "Any updates over the deal with the Maheshvaris?"

"I don't think of anything but he may be is arriving here, for sir's sister's wedding. She is his daughter after all." Okay?

"You seem to know about it very much." I dig for answers.

"I have been working here for long and there are rumors", she whispers. "Sir's dad had an affair with a coworker and even had a child with her before the families split up."

"Oh. That's ..." I can't form words.

"Yeah, I know."

Maybe Karthik went through a lot as a child, family issues, betrayal and some part of all the torment reflects in his behavior. He tries to open up and then stops himself.

"Uh, they are coming closer. Maybe they are just talking. Maybe not." She teases me. I watch Karthik and her talking. Is there anyone in this office she hasn't thrown herself on?

"Tell me what is that makes her so ...worthy of time?"

"High heels, thick lip paint...oh there's a long list." She giggles and then goes away.

He is talking to her for the past ten minutes. And never looked at me. I continue to read the file showing it doesn't affect me. He approaches me after she goes away.

"You still up for the date."

"You sure you don't have anyone else to go out with?" I snap.

"What no I made it quite clear yesterday."

"I will rain check."

"I will see you at sharp 6."

"Can't you listen? I said rain check." I grit my teeth.

And he just goes away clicking on his watch.

I might have to dig in Naina's closet for something good. Dressing up for the party, here we go.

Back at the apartment, I choose the shortest dress for myself. For myself means for myself; which is exactly one finger above my knee. It is a red dress with an off-shoulder neckline. And I dare not forget red lipstick and high heels.

The bell rings and I straighten my hair before opening up.

"Good evening." I'm greeted by Karthik and his sharp intake of breath. "You look stunning." He is dressed in a tight shirt that shows off his muscles and a black dress suit. He looks mighty fine along with a bouquet of red roses.

"Thanks. But roses are –

"Red?" he interrupts.

"I was gonna say overrated."

"It goes fine with that tight red dress and pardons me for not mentioning your lipstick, madam." I leave the bouquet on the side table.

"Shall we?" I ask with a sly smile.