Epilogue

31st Dec.

Karthik's POV

"Hey, son! Want to join us at your Grandfather's? Your sister is also here." Mr. Mahes...Dad says over the phone.

"I'm fine here. I'm out with my friends."

"Uh...okay", he says in uncertainty and I cut the call before he can pressurize.

"Look who decided to show up!" Krish pats my back. I don't know why I decided to show up at this booze party in the first place. Maybe booze is the first thing that I need right now. "To the new year", he uncorks the alcohol.

The music starts loud and sharp. Painful to my ears. He pours me a glass.

"Wanna get laid?" he shouts over the loud music.

"I am good," I say.

He gives the are-you-sure-look. I nod again. He shrugs.

Kyra sits on his lap and knowing what's coming I excuse myself to the bar. I gulp down the alcohol.

"Slow" a girl sits beside me and whispers in a low seducing tone.

"Thanks."

She is wearing a short skirt that barely covers her legs. She tries to tempt me with her signs. I pay no heed. Her fingers brush past my knuckles.

"What do you want?"

"Don't you want?" she comes close to me.

Her hair is long with curls that surround her face and her eyes are the same color as hers.

"No I don't", I snap and regret. She walks away with hurt.

I miss her. But it's good for us. We know that we won't get anywhere with each other. She believes it too. Mira didn't call or text after the 24th.

You didn't too. Dick.

It's over between us. I think.

The loneliness comes uninvited. There is no point staying here.

I drive back to my apartment in no time. Maybe I'll read a book or just go to sleep.

I glance at myself in the rearview.

Maybe you overreacted.

Did I? But it's wounding, that she looks at that asshole dumbass...Karan with the exact yearning that I look at her with. He doesn't deserve her.

And you do?

I unlock the door with my spare key. A silhouette rests on my couch in a sleeping position.

I switch on the lights.

Mira is sleeping, snuggled in the little space and it surprises me to find her at my home. And at the same time, it makes me happy and gives me a sense of satisfaction.

The hall smells of freshly baked bread. Was she cooking?

Careful not to wake her I sit on a chair beside her. She sleeps like a puppy with her hair falling all over her face. And what is that ridiculous sweater she is wearing? It makes her so adorable and cuddle-able.

The rise and fall of her breasts make me aware of her presence.

No, you're not hallucinating.

I brush my knuckles on her cheek. How can someone be so soft? I lay a sweet kiss. She shivers and stirs awake.

"You're back", she observes. Then her eyes go wide and she bolts upright. "You're back!" she exhales and composes herself. "What time is it?"

"11:55," I say.

"Look I know. There are many things left to talk but before the clock hits 12, we must cut the cake." She jumps and dashes into the kitchen. So she has been baking.

I love her antics and I love...her.

Was it a realization or a confession? Anyway, I never thought would be feeling it. It doesn't scare me now. It feels thrilling.

She stands beside a beautiful cake that she made with irregular icing. She searches for candles running in my kitchen. I always want her here, this way, running in my kitchen in front of my eyes.

"I don't think I have them. Let's pretend to blow." I suggest.

She looks at the clock and then nods.

We blow the imaginary candles. She blows rather enthusiastically and harshly as if they were real.

She feeds me a triangular slice and it tastes heavenly. I feed her too. My fingers in her mouth are a different turn-on. But I push away pleasurable thoughts. I need clarity.

She looks into my eyes and realizes my need for answers. She sighs and begins, "Karthik I thought about it and...." Is she talking about our breakup? Please don't say it again. It hurts. "I know you're mad at me for not being vigilant and I apologize."

I can never be mad at her. "And I don't care what happened in the past", she continues. "And I don't care what the future holds. All I care about is now and the fact that being with you has made me love myself. That life is so easier with you." Her voice cracks.

I just want her to shut up and hug her immediately. But I remain immobile to listen further. "If I sound selfish and needy now...then be it." she draws in a sharp breath. "I don't want to let you go. I want you all to me. I don't how long forever is but however long it is I want it to be with you. I love you Karthik."

Her voice rings in her ears. She loves me. Those three words feel so good, I realize now. No one has ever said them to me. I grin from ear to ear. Her speech was effective.

"I love you too."

"Really?" she asks in disbelief.

I nod.

She jumps on me pulling me to her mouth. She kisses me passionately.

"No don't pull away...not yet," I say craving for her.

"Happy new year." She laughed. Little minx.

"Happy new year." I carry her to the balcony. We stand there watching the fireworks.

I love the way her eyes shine and the way her hand fits in mine.

"Is the New York offer still valid?" She asks.

"Uh-huh. Why?"

"I want to go. Not just New York but to everywhere, every small town and every big city, all the places in my bucket list." She giggles wholeheartedly. I can stare at her all day. And at her cuteness that takes my breath away. And her wet lips that make me lose it when she sinks her teeth in it.

Shit!

"Let's go inside. It's drizzling", I say pulling her inside.

She giggles. "Wait!" She squeals. "Give it time. It will clear out,"

"You'll get sick," I warn and it starts pouring. Rain on new year's eve. Not expected. "See it didn't clear out," I say through the water getting in my mouth.

She shakes her head and laughs. Then rising on her heels she kisses me. She was my favorite scent, Mira. And her kiss was even better than a finely aged wine. "Do you know rain kiss was always on top of my bucket list?"

"I remember", I say and pick her drenched body.

Gathering rainwater in her hand she splashes on my face.

Minx.

Not caring about our wet selves. I throw her onto my bed. She laughs before her eyes get darker in anticipation and she bites those hella damn lips.

What am I gonna do to her?

Water drops slid through her neck disappearing into her breasts. And I could control no more.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"I love you", I mumble between her breasts and nuzzle. Inhaling she gasps, "I love you too."