Chapter-39

The December sun shines very brightly today. It's cold too but not entirely. It's 11 in the morning and I'm excited about the ball. I lay my red lacey dress for tonight, straight on my bed. I might borrow heels and makeup from Naina.

But I can easily buy them, I earn now. Hmm, that's right.

I grab my jacket and head out of my room. Naina is sprawled on the couch with a thick layer of face mask on. She resembles a cheap ghost from a daily soap. "Where are you going?" she asks.

"I need shoes", I say and head for the mall.

The mall is lightly populated and there's a possibility that most people headed to their folks. Through the escalator, on the second floor, I get into the showroom for shoes.

I go for three inches at first but based on our height gap, I change it to five. This should do right.

"You are way too self-conscious", a voice says.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Karan.

"Getting myself cufflinks."

"Do they look good?" I ask raising my leg to his face. He gives thumbs up. He offers to pay. "I manage my own expenses these days", I say proudly.

"Let's grab a burger."

"I gotta get ready for tonight."

"And you'll start from now," he asks in horror. Damn you, girls!

"I have other work too." He shows his puppy dog eyes. "Fine."

He chews his food rather soundly. That's odd.

"What's wrong?"

He shrugs. "Nothing."

I press.

He sighs. "Dad wants me to join his company now."

"Is that a problem?"

"I wanted to be botanist if you don't remember any of our conversations when we were best friends."

Well, I do remember that but with time, our choices change. "I remember. Try talking to him then."

"He is more worried about my salary than the career I want to pursue." I never truly understood his passion for plants but I respected his interests. "I had written letters come from three different science laboratories after I posted a detailed paper on a rare plant species found in Himalayan hills."

"Show him those then. Try to make him understand. He would be proud."

'Making your father proud'; I am lost on this particular topic too. Though it's easier to give advice and that's what I'm doing.

"I'm sure you'll figure something out. I'll see you tonight."

We see each other off.

My phone rings as I make my way back home.

"Uh... Dad? Hi."

My heart thumps loud. Loud enough for him to hear.

"How are you doing?"

"Um...fine I guess."

"Your Director called me yesterday regarding your...um what campaign he said?"

"The Society for Prevention of Foundlings and the Abandoned." I barely whisper and hold my breath tight.

"You are doing a great job protecting those parentless kids. And uh I'm proud of you." He finally said it out and I feel ten feet tall. This would be the best Christmas ever. I let my breath out. "Are you coming for your vacation?"