Chapter-4

"Finally, it starts," I murmur as we make our way through the crowded hallway towards our classes.

My first day in college.

"Woah Man! I got journalism as extras", Naina says, looking onto her schedule. "I always wanted it." She beams.

"They gave me communication and put me in the event management club", I say sourly.

My teamwork sucks!

One. Two. Three. Yeah, got it.

The class to history is on the other side of the hallway, in the corner, and three rooms ahead.

I am the first to enter the class. Like I always did in my previous schools, I take a seat in the middle of the room. Faces of archeologists and historians from the portraits gawk at me from the wall. I choose to ignore them. Taking my notebook and pens out, I get myself ready for the class.

Many people think you're just boring for choosing history as your core subject but they are the same people who find it difficult to memorize few dates.

But it's much more than being boring. Going deeper and unwrapping secrets from the past is interesting.

Mysteries.

"Drunk girl who fell in the pond", my head snaps to the voice above my head. What?

She is the same girl who I met at the party. Alina? "Excuse me?" I snap, disgusted.

"Oh, just a min", she says and sits beside me. Arranging her books in perfect order, she turns to me. "Uh. Well, I heard about your accident."

"Yeah, right. But I wasn't drunk for information", I snap. Again.

"Oh, I know that. But you know people are sort of... fond of rumors, and they enjoy it. I was just saying what I listened to", she shrugs.

"Maybe you should be more kind than repeating what you heard."

"I'm sorry about that," she apologizes, and I forgive. "But right, now the whole college thinks that you're cool."

Is it so? "Is that a good thing?"

"Yes", she assures. "I think you're super cool."

And this is how I make a new friend.

Through a rumor.

Class starts filling up, and our history professor, Mr. Shekhar walks in. "Morning children", he says, but I'm not sure if he is old enough to say that.

Professor Shekhar has been working in this university for quite a long time beyond the constant job offers to him by American universities and has done remarkable research in the historical field. His words, not mine!

The first history class dealt with the introduction part, but he did save us an assignment; an essay on the Importance of History. I'm not sure if anyone would do that. Students mostly slept through the class.

I note the assignment anyway.

"You seriously are going to do homework", she snorts.

The bell rings and, I walk out with my newly acquired friend after an hour-long lecture.

"I want good grades", I shrug.

"I'll see you in the auditorium", says Alina as I accompany her to the next class.

"Yup."

I make my way to my elective class: Communication. The class is noisy when I enter.

I am late. I look for any vacant seat around the class, and I find none.