Chapter-23

Dear diary,

Sorry I haven't seen you in a while. The last few days have been a lot. But today I feel extremely energetic and bouncy to start a very new day, and I'm gonna welcome this new change with open arms. Today I get to work!

As much as I'm excited for my first day at work, there's a tiny piece of me that worries over screwing it.

I'm dressed in my skinny jeans and black shirt but I feel something missing. A jacket maybe. I'll look into Naina's wardrobe.

I haven't told anyone about my internship. I'm still waiting for my first check.

Keeping my diary aside, I once again adjust my makeup and frame a smile, looking into the mirror. I keep my hair open to gain more confidence.

Karthik waits for me outside the apartment. "How do I look?" I ask sweeping my flat key under the money plant pot.

"good."

"Just good?"

"Stunning, ravishing, a torch in my darkness, a floating mermaid, the angel of –

"Okay enough." I giggle.

We drive till a huge multistorey building appears on the right side of our way, casting its shadow on the car. It's a glass building with A HOPE: Restoring and Rebuilding Future, written in huge letters. Certainly, an international NGO would have its branches in many places. This must be the headquarters. Starting from a small town; it fascinates me.

"Shall we?" he asks once he has parked.

I nod.

Up with the elevator we enter in a huge lobby, he directs me to the reception area.

"Good Morning sir," the receptionist greets Karthik.

"Morning Rachel." He sounds professional. "Mira, our new intern. Rachel." He introduces both of us.

She hands me a file where I fill in my joining details. Wednesday, August 18; I enter the date.

"Come I'll give you a tour."

At the end of the alley, there's the CEO cabin. "Mom is out managing associates."

He leads me to the Board Room where I meet the coordinator of this organization. I see the General Management floor, HR department which is exactly two floors above, Research and Promotions group on the fifth floor, Administrative Management, and of course there is a canteen.

Each of the departments is well organized, the environment is calm and clean; just the way I would like to work in.

After the briefs me about my work and various management departments we reach the program management section.

"Here's your desk." He guides me to the corner of most cabins with a side window. Momentarily I think it was his idea to provide me the best desk with a huge window from where this entire town looks a miniature.

"You're working here too?"

"Yeah. In the sponsoring section. See my desk is right in front of yours." He says.

"As an intern?" I ask.

"No. I have an official position to myself." He whispers, "One of the advantages when your mom is the CEO. I'll have the official SRO position after I graduate."

He flashes a grin.

"Hello sir", a lean woman with glasses addresses Karthik with a seductive voice.

"Hey, Maya." He turns to me. "She'll fill you in about your work."

He leaves to another chamber closing the door behind him.