Chapter-16

I have entered into a different world and I am enjoying it.

It's 8:45 and we are lined behind the stage in a line. The serial number allotted to me is 22. Little girls are performing for the guests and the show will start soon.

Kyra comes every second to me to ask me if I want something and to check on my makeup. But I know mentally she is praying to God to prevent me from screwing it up for her.

Karan is still not here and for the tenth time, I swallow my tears. My phone vibrates from a notification. Checking it gains me nothing it's not him. He still hasn't replied to my text. I thought he had my back.

The performance finishes with a round of applause. There is a series of clicking noises from various cameramen that almost blind us with light. The girls in a front giggle and the girls behind me flaunt their makeup and dress. One of them is even talking about me.

All good stuff I know. I have great attire and I am worthy of it.

The anchor announces for the runway and all the lights turn out. It turns dark but all the spotlights are turned on stage focusing on the main platform.

Cheers from the audience get louder as the music starts. It is the blend of powerful beats and devilish temperament. I love this.

It begins.

The divas begin their walk. Cameras jostle to capture their every move. Keeping their hands on their waist, they sashay on the floor like snakes. I laugh at my own joke.

We get tagged according to our serial numbers.

The 21st girl returns and I begin.

Leaving my hands to swing at my sides I sway my hips to the end of the platform. Karthik and his Mom sit on the front most seats with several others. Naina waves at me and cheers out loud.

Karthik's mom's name is Vedika Acharya which I read on the nameplate in front of her. She is a lean lady, looks younger than her age, and wears a soft expression.

Karthik watches me and shifts on his chair, then claps.

Keeping my diva expression out I pose for the cameramen. Pulling the hem of my dress I bend, twirl around, and retreat with long strides. My back and waist work on their own and work really fine.

I reach behind the stage where Kyra hugs me.

I hug her back.

She congratulates me and tells me that her dress got auctioned for a good amount of money. The lady who bought it wants to have a photo with me.

"Congratulations!" I say.

It's almost midnight when the show gets over. We are still in our dress doing photos.

My heels hurt like bitch! Ugh!

I pose with many guests. Mostly VIPs and board members of the organization. I stand beside Karthik and we get clicked together. "My Mom wants to see you. See you at the dance floor."

He informs.

His mom is next; she wraps her arm around my waist for the photo.

Vedika Acharya shares a very close parental bond with her son. It's obvious as they share a dance. I reach the ballroom where I watch people sway to the soft music.

That takes me to the night where I and Karan danced. He didn't come. He said that he would.

My heart aches.

Mrs. Acharya comes to me. Her son follows.

She compliments my performance. "Karthik told me about you. My son has the best choice." She says suddenly and then hastily adds. "In friends."

She laughs and the corner of her eyes wrinkle just like her son. He doesn't laugh more often but I saw him on the lighthouse. He looks good.

"Mom." He warns.

She laughs nervously. He even makes her nervous.

"I am a history major. Year one." I fill her in about my academics. She asks me about my future prospect. "I don't exactly have plans but I would love to do what you're doing right now."

"Oh darling, that's really generous", I didn't know it would flatter her. She gestures towards her son. "He too wants to spend his life for the welfare of the society but he's a really good writer." The lady really sounds impressed by her son. She adores him.

Karthik scratches the back of his neck. I'm sure he wants to be just done with the conversation.

"Have you read anything from his write-ups?" She asks me and then turns to him. "Have you shown her?"

He warns again.

"Yeah, I have read some of his poems. They are really good." I lie.

He relaxes a bit and eyes me for my lie.

"I have read your articles too on Women empowerment and child education. Focusing on the betterment of society. Our country needs it."

"Really? Thank you." She gets called from the crowd. "Our foundation is offering an excellent internship. Think about it," she says and hurries away. And in the dense crowd, she disappears.

It's just me and Karthik. We stand in awkward silence.

The DJ has changed the ballroom music. It's the end of the night.

"Would you dance with me?" I hear a faint voice. "Only if you want to."

His voice is stern. Low but demanding.

I nod.

We glide along with the music.

"You were good."

I nod. "Your escorting helped."

He chuckles. My feet have given up. I am taking tortoise steps. "Do you want to sit down?"

"I want to dance."

"Look at me while I talk to you." He demands which immediately spins my neck towards him. Taken aback he looks away suddenly.

I can't help the giggle that escapes my lips. He takes a step close to me and I stop.

We continue to sway. It's soothing, refreshing, mood lightening. The music stops and we part away.

And I see Karan watching us with a firm expression.