Chapter- 11

This morning has been highly refreshing. We are back at our college.

Reviewing Dhriti's essay on a historical event I close our today's lecture in the cafeteria.

"You're doing it this year too?" Dhriti asks Kyra while I look in confusion.

"It's a tradition." Kyra shrugs while Dhriti rolls her eyes.

She continues to scribble on a red canvas paper. My eyes scan the whole cafeteria and then I find it's not only her but many students staring blankly at a red piece of paper. Well more girls than boys.

"What are you writing?" I ask her.

"Heartfelt notes to the spring god."

"Uh-huh?" Naina pipes in. "Tell her the whole thing." She laughs.

"Well, it works like a matchmaker." Dhriti gives Kyra a meaningful look and turns to me. "You hang the note on the tree and wait for a reply. It's basically a fundraiser and a spring fest. "

"It's baseless. Look she has been trying for two years. I still wonder these notes are even being read", Naina says.

Kyra stares down. "I am a cheerleader, okay and I must show some team spirit and take part in fundraisers." She pouts.

Though it sounds childish it's kind of cute and cool ... for those who believe in it. Do I?

Kyra folds her note twice and sprints out.

"We were just joking!" Dhriti calls from behind.

Not too long after I find myself sitting in the quiet library with a red canvas paper. What would I even write? To whom?

Write about him. To him.

Does he believe in these things? Will he write one? Will he read mine?

To the extent which I know Karan he will never write one. And what his popularity tells me, there will be a thousand notes for him, and obviously, he will go to read them. Won't he?

Maybe I can get lucky for once?

Ugh! Crush sucks.

Let's try.

"You're the sun,

owning your own charm." Said the dark water.
Traveling with high surges,
I try to feel you for once.

The gravity pulls me down,
I crash back to the crust.
I rise higher, failing again.
Stupid me!
You're too far away.

"You're the sun,
with fiery desires."
I have darkness adorning me,
either I consume you or,
will you burn me?

- M

Was it a cringe? But that was true. That's exactly how I feel. He is so close yet so distant.

I write in my best handwriting ever.

My throat sours as melancholy sweeps over. I just want him to read it. Why is it always too hard to confess?

Not being able to sign the letter with my own name. I end it up writing a small M below.

Folding it in half I walk out of the library.

"So you're modeling now?" I ask Karthik as he watches an advertising poster intently on the walls of the hallway.

HOPE NGO: Charity Ramp, a poverty fundraiser program.
Time: Monday 9 pm onwards.
Venue: central park.

He shakes his head. "Sponsoring it."

"Really?"

Hope, I heard is a national NGO that usually uplifts the underprivileged. I have always found these programs generous binding this world together. Ignoring all the differences and breaking all the stereotypes.

"My mother's the president. My grandfather was the founder of this Non Governmental organization. We are celebrating its fiftieth anniversary."

Impressive indeed. I nod and process it all.

"Where are you going anyway?"

"Nowhere. Um...walking back home."

"Really?" he cocks his head and stares at the red paper in my hand.

I shift at my place and sweep hair off my face.

We walk together to the garden, in front of a big spring tree bearing just bloomed violet velvet flowers and several red paper notes hanging down with a string attached.

It looks like a fairytale with greenery and colorful flowers around it. I stare at the pink roses lovingly.

"Do you want them?" Karthik asks and I shake my head.

They look better that way.

I pass a thread through my note and rise on my toes to attach it to the topmost branch.

"Give it to me." After my futile attempts, he offers.

My height always played a part in bringing my unattractiveness to significance.

Karthik hangs my note on the branch and it sways with the air. I envy him for his height. I would barely reach his shoulders.

"For someone specific?"

"No just getting a good experience out of everything." I shrug.

"I'll let you be."

And he walks away towards the main gate.

I invest a few seconds in absorbing the beauty around me. And I surprise myself with my next step.

I start opening every single note. Turning the folds of every red paper hanging on the tree. I don't get what I'm trying to find.

There's no note addressed as Karan. But as I expected, there are many addressed to Karan. I stop in disgust.

I was right he's not a believer. But he can be quite wickedly curious sometimes. I can be hopeful. My optimistic side is in full force today.

But in the corner, I do find a note.

Hypocrite!

Did you come with a wave 'cause I'm drowning already!
- Naina

And he replies!

Feel me, baby! Xoxo

-Abhisekh. J

Was she ashamed we'll laugh at her?

I shake my head and walk home.