Chapter-37

The vase is ugly and cracked. I put fresh flowers anyway.

"No crushed ribs, no diaphragm injury, not internal injuries. You're good to go." I say.

"My stomach hurts like bitch." Karan winces trying to get up. "Where is dad?"

"Signing your recharge papers", I shrug.

"Mom?"

Mom? Oh, he did get the maturity part. Partially though. "She needed rest. I told her I'll look after her for a while. And before you ask Dhriti needed rest too so I sent her home."

"Bossy eh?"

"I told her about us."

"You did what!" he jumped.

"Chill. She is cool. She asked me to tell her in the first place."

He relaxes.

"He came here and apologized", I say. Yesterday right after we brought him here Karthik apologized for what he did to him. But what was disturbing is that he never looked towards me for once. Was he ashamed or guilty? I was mad. I am mad now but ...why?

"And why are you telling me this?" he scoffed. "You're picking upsides even when you witnessed the whole thing. He should be grateful my Dad didn't put him in prison."

"Yeah about that...he and your dad are on good terms now."

"What is that suppose to mean?" he asks.

"Your Dad is his dad too. He melted when he apologized for his behavior last night."

"He forgave him."

"Apparently."

"Fuck."

"Who's fault was it anyway?" I ask.

"He was arguing with Dad and I jumped in to save him. He was drunk."

"So were you." I snap. "You hit him too, so stop acting like a victim."

"Okay okay. Chill. I'm not accusing him and it was my fault too. Guess it was accumulated hatred that came out last night."

Yes, you were fighting like dogs.

He traces the IV pipe injected into his hand and fumbles with the tape. "So you love him."

"Why does it matter to you?"

"Did you love me?" he asked with seriousness in his eyes.

"I did. At a point in time. I thought it was quite obvious", I confess. "It's all just a good memory now."

He pauses. "I understand."

I laugh. "Really?"

"I cared about you – I mean we were friends and everything was fine then."

"Yeah, just friends. I don't complain about now too. It's just right."

"Remember we bunked our classes. You were new in this and were so scared." He laughs.

"Yep."

"I miss those times."

"I'm sure we can do it again. A day before you graduate?"

"Hell yeah!"

I hug him. "Best friends forever." I might have lied or it wasn't one hundred percent true from my side. Time isn't the same, every time. "I gotta work. Goodbye."

Should I call him or not? Is he avoiding me on purpose? Maybe I should give space. But is he fine?

The phone rings from my end but he doesn't pick up. The call ends. I call him again. He picks up on the last ring.

"Yes", his tone is breathless and tense.

"What's wrong?"

"What makes you think something is wrong?"

"You said yes and not hi", I say. "Are you fine?"

"I am."

"Do you want me to come over?"

"I'm preparing for finals", he says clearly to avoid me some more.

"Look if it is about the other day, we can talk about it."

"I am fine and have got a lot to finish up so I'll call you later?" Jesus. What's wrong?

"Okay."

He cuts the call hastily.

I sit on the sidewalk on my way back to college, thinking, wondering. Until I'm distracted by the noise of kids from the orphanage. They are playing on the damp ground.

"What are you all making?" I ask children who are sitting around with canvas, colored papers, strings, and beads. They are engaged and dedicated.

They don't reply still engrossed in doing what they are doing.

"They are making masks." A young lady stepped towards me. "I'm the new caretaker", she smiled.

"Where did the nun go?" I ask.

"She passed away last week. She had flu", she says with a sad smile. I feel sad too. I remember her warm mothers like smile and her soft wrinkled hands.

"I'm sorry", I say.

She nods. "What can I help you with?"

"What do you do with these beautiful pieces of art?"

She laughs looking at the masks prepared by the children. But why masks specifically? Do these kids think that people have two faces? One they show to all and the other that remains just to themselves. "What do you think?"

"Well I might put them to good use", I pick up a silver one. Two holes are hollowed out in the shape of eyes. It fits exactly on my face. "Sell them to me."

"Done."

"What are you writing?" Naina asks me standing at my door.

"List of preparations that need to be done", I say.

"For what?"

"I'm throwing a masked ball", I say coyly.

"Okay. What!" she jumps in excitement. "You?"

"You think I'm not capable of throwing parties and stuff."

"No, I'm not saying that. But why? When is it?" she says fast and she usually does it when she is anxious or overexcited.

"It's a fundraising event. I thought it'll be good Christmas this year for kids with no parents or nowhere to go."

"That's generous and kind of you to even think that", she says. "So order me."

"To do what?"

"Well I know you're OCD and uptight and highhanded, all at once so obviously you need help for your brain's sake. So tell me where do I start?"

I laugh. "True. I got the catering and venue managed. So help me with invitations and passes. I'll email you the details."

"Oh my god, I'm so excited. But wait what are we supposed to wear? And do we need dates?"

"Obviously you need a date. Who are you gonna dance with? And since the party is on Christmas eve, the dress code will be accordingly. How about semi-formals?"

"And a Santa Claus?"

"Perfect."

We just got a week and thanks to her she'll be managing half of the things. I still have two more years here but in fact, most of my friends would be gone this year. "I'll miss you."

She softens. "I'll do too."

"The day of graduation; I'll not just be the last day of education life but last day of many friendships", I say.

"Bullshit no one is capable of breaking a bond they didn't make it in the first place, except for those who made it."

"Right. I'll call you every day", I joke.

"We still have two months for that."

"Let's go shopping. We need winter formals."