Chapter- 12

"You seem lost today."

"Huh?"

"You're staring towards the gate," Naina says as we finish off our coffee. "Or are you looking in the garden?"

I knew deep down she must have felt it, smelt it. She looks at me with suspicion. "It's a beautiful view."

"Specifically what do you find so pleasant?" her intrusive tone provokes my verbally ironic version.

"The letters in specific," I say. "I read one in which a girl was drowning. In someone's love maybe."

Her brows pucker in fury and she starts shooting. "You read my damn note! Do you know what it means to invade someone's privacy?"

"Really. Technically everyone is doing it right now to read their loved one."

"But...they won't break it out on their face." She bangs her fist on the desk spilling some coffee.

"Chill. Didn't mention someone. I was just demonstrating your hypocrisy." I hunch my shoulders.

She slumps down her chair and her nose flares. I can imagine hot air coming out of those nostrils. It's funny.

"Did you hear something?" Dhriti approaches us. "Kyra got a number in reply to her note!"

"No way!"

"Yes!"

"He asked her to meet at CCD." She whispers loudly.

"This thing really works! It made a match!"

My anxiety has increased over two hundred times since yesterday when I wrote the note.

Even she got a reply. What about me? What if it's someone else and not him? Shall I check? Damn, I should go.

"C'mon we are going to her place. She is busy styling some mannequin."

What no!

"Just come." She drags me out with one glance in the garden.

Kyra is tearing, mapping and stitching in her boutique of a room when we enter.

"Do not touch that", she yells at Naina who caresses the deep red gown with a sweetheart neckline, shaping a mannequin. It's pretty with just the right amount of work to dress a fairy. And it intimidates me. It must cost a fortune. Out of my bank balance.

"You made it."

I ask surprised. She nods her head and gives a sleepy grin. She really is talented.

"It's incomplete though. It needs some beadwork."

"Who's the order?" Naina asks.

Kyra clicks her tongue. "I'm entering into the charity ramp."

"What really?" We all squeal.

It has become the latest topic of discussion among us. There are posters and billboards all over the town. It really is a big event.

I won't lie. I did Google the price for owning a seat and then immediately shut my laptop.

It's not your thing anyway.

"I heard someone got asked out," Naina says monotonously.

"Me. Krish is meeting me today at one," Kyra says shying away. Krish. Nice name. The spring god really did some good stuff to her. I mentally scoff.

"Yeah. Yeah."

Naina barely whispers and it occurs to me that something is not going right in her life.