Chapter-31

Alina listens to me completely focused as I tell her about my recent crisis. Her mouth is half-open with exhausted breaths, with a little v on her forehead she reads me.

"The story is over," I say snapping my fingers. "You can close your mouth."

"Oh."

It's been a week since Karthik and I didn't see each other. No text, no call, completely ghosted.

I miss...forget it.

"Are you gonna suggest something or will you keep staring at me with those owly hooded eyes?" I ask.

"Alright." She says. "So you are having trouble with certain feelings. I get."

"What? I'm guilty of hurting him, but then it wasn't even my fault. He's not speaking to me and all I do here sitting is pine for his..." I pause. "Why are you even talking to me right now? Isn't everyone in my life on a campaign called 'ditch Mira'? My parents won't talk to me because I hid the fact that I was working. As if they were gonna be super proud about that." I laugh and pant. I'm speaking without breaths ...no, not speaking. I'm fucking shouting!

I slump back on my couch and after the fuzziness in my head has cleared out. I apologize. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to last out."

"I know what's happening here." She says and shakes her head in concern. "I think you need a therapist."

She thinks all of this is preposterous? I'm going insane? Or worse crazy. "You think it's that bad...? I need a shrink?"

"I mean ...you have problem understanding feelings right? Why don't you see or attend a few counseling sessions? Who knows it may work?"

"And how exactly I'm gonna see her?"

"Follow me." She grins.

She drives me to a distant abandoned building on street 4.

"I need to see a therapist, not a goon or worst ...a ghost." I hiss.

"Have some faith."

We climb up the stairs made of bricks. It looks under construction and Home to several misdeeds.

We reach the foyer and it's different. It felt as if we brought Doremon's door to some good use. The foyer is entirely marbled and the walls have the most quality paint with motivational paintings.

"Is it the same building we came in?"

"Yes. It's odd I know. He doesn't see many patients, maybe he lacks money."

"Okay."

We stand outside the door which has a black nameplate; Dr. Nalini.

"Um, I don't think it's a good idea." An unusual feeling grows in my stomach. I'm nervous. "Let's go."

"Chickening out already? Under confident I sense." The door opens and a woman in her mid-forties comes out. She is wearing large bohemian earrings and necklaces. A big round bindi on her forehead makes me question her profession. She looks like a tarot card reader.

"She is the one." Alina mouths excited. She touches her feet and the doctor gives her a warm smile.

"You came here to talk. Didn't you?" She asks like an astrologer.

"Uh –

"Yes, she is." Alina pushes me towards her. "Go." She mouths.

I gulp.

"Come." The doctor shuts the door behind me. "Sit."

I sit down in a leather chair. The room has scents of incense sticks and candles. There are motivational quotes over the wall. She takes her seat at her table and wears a calm and deep smile.