Chapter 14

And why was he so interested anyway? It's not like it had anything to do with him. Ian didn't strike me as the type to be concerned about other people's matters.
"You can't talk to me like that.
Besides, it's none of your business." I said.
"Are you really that stubborn?" Ian rolled his eyes and said.
"I guess." I replied.
"Liz, could you please tell me about yesterday?" Ian said with his irritating dramatic expressions and smile.
His voice dripped with sarcasm, but he really seemed desperate to know and I wasn't an ass like him. So, I told him about it.
"That's it. Why did you wanna know about this?" I asked after explaining everything to Ian.
"Stay inside. Don't go outside." Ian said with a seriously concerned tone and left.
I mean that's it, he just left.
"Seriously?" I said to myself.
After Ian left, Maeve came to me.
"Oh… hey." I said to Maeve.
"We need to talk." Maeve said.
"Okay?" I replied.
"I didn't think it was necessary to tell you this but it seems like you can't stay away from Ian." Maeve said.
"I didn't-" I said.
"Save it. Look, there's a certain rule at this school. Rules that aren't made by teachers but by the students themselves.
More like these particular three." Maeve explained.
That's when I noticed those three girls were staring at me this whole time, God knows since when!!
"What rules?" I asked.
"Long time before you came to this school. Many many many girls tried to land with Ian. And many many failed. Pretty much everyone wants to be with him.
The girls here think of Ian as some kind of God. They worship him so much it's disgusting. At some point the three most popular girls in this school made a pact. That no one could ever have him. But Ian would belong to everyone." Maeve explained the rule.
It's disgusting… isn't it!!!
"Are you kidding me?" I said.
"Nope, this is how things work here. No one is allowed to be in a relationship with him." Maeve answered.
"As if any girl would oblige to that." I said.
"You underestimate the power of these three. There's Betty Copper. You already know her and you probably instantly liked her…" Maeve said.
"I did…" I replied.
"Yeah, she has that kind of effect on people. But don't let yourself be fooled by that cute smile. It's pure toxic.
Her dad runs a huge pudding industry, which made her incredibly rich. And influential.
Now the second person is Samantha Cross. You also know her already. Head cheerleader and your typical bitch. Her mom is a famous designer and her dad is a big businessman. I mean she already hates your guts, so… screwed anyway.
The last is Daniel Bannet. I guess you don't know her." Maeve explained.
"No." I replied.
"Daniel is incredibly smart, probably the smartest person here after Ian. I think that's why she's so attracted to him.
Her dad is a famous prosecutor and her mom's a CEO of the biggest financial institution here. Daniel is the person you need to be aware of, Liz.
She's super smart and cold as ice. She's probably the most dangerous out of those three." Mave explained again.
"What do you expect me to do now? I'm not attracted to him…" I said.
A small lie, I guess.
"You come off as a decent human being, that's why I want you to be careful. There were girls who didn't oblige. Who didn't follow their rules. Not a single one of them is at this school any longer. And I don't know what happened to them.
So, see you…" Maeve said and went.

After another lesson I went to the cafeteria. Subconsciously my head turned to look around for a certain someone. But he was nowhere to be found. I couldn't see him in the school hallways either.
School was now finally over, and I drove home. I didn't see Ian's car outside of his house as well. Seemed like he ditched school and just did whatever he wanted to do. Not like I cared anyway.

When I switched on the TV, the news reporter was casting another crime report.
"Yesterday another girl was found dead. It was confirmed that the wounds have been the same as the other girls who died.
The police said that they're no longer sure the death was caused by an animal. They're looking into it if not a person is involved. If that turns out to be true. Citizens need to be cautious from now on. A serial killer might be among us." Newscaster said.
"I'm so bored. I don't wanna do homework yet." I was thinking.
I was so bored, so I switched off the TV and went to my room. That's when I saw Maeve's message on my phone.
"Whatcha doing?" Maeve asked in a message.
"Nothing, I'm bored." I texted back.
"My brother's friend is throwing a party, wanna come?" Maeve asked.
"You have a brother?" I asked surprisingly.
"Obviously." Maeve replied.
"Do you start liking me now?" I texted.
"Ok, I'm blocking you now." I texted.
"Wait, I'm sorry! I'll come with you." I replied.
"Cool, I will be at your place in 15 minutes." Maeve replied.
I got ready like a super hot chick and sometimes later Maeve picked me.

Maeve was driving.
"What kind of party is this?" I asked Maeve.
"I don't know. Guess, we'll find out." Maeve answered.
"Is he your older brother?" I asked.
"Yep." Maeve replied.
"How old is he?" I asked again.
"21." Maeve replied.
"Are you two close?" I asked again.
"How many questions do you intend to ask?" Maeve said.
"I'm not sure yet…" I replied.
"Stop it." Maeve said.
I was pretty nervous to be honest. I've never been to many parties before and the last one I'd gone to didn't end that well. And this wasn't some High school party. This was a grown up party and I really didn't feel grown up at all.

- To Be Continued -