Chapter 8

"Childe? You are early today", Zhongli said as he sat down at their usual hangout place at Yujing terrace.

"Yeah, not much of paperwork today", he nodded back with his usual smile.

Then, a moment of silence filled the air. Only tweeting sounds of birds and some people chattering.

"You know, we don't really talk to each other without the twins", Childe broke the silence.

"Hmm, yes, I also noticed that. I was giving you space because I thought you might have some dislike towards me after that incident", Zhongli told him.

Childe chuckled lightly, "and, I thought you were wary of me after what I have done to Liyue."

"There's no reason to doubt you, Childe. Aether and Lumine regard you as a close friend after all. As long as you get along with them, I have nothing against you", Zhongli faced Childe directly.

Childe nodded with a carefree smile, "the same goes with me. So, we are cool?" He held up his hand for a handshake.

Zhongli nodded his agreement and shook hands, "of course."

After a handshake, Childe asked, "I've got to ask, how was being an Archon?"

Zhongli thought for a moment and answered as he set his sight on a single graze lily from a distance, "it was indeed powerful and mighty as you may think but everything comes with a cost. I have lost plenty of precious allies along this long journey. Those memories and promises that I shared with them were the only things that kept motivating me to continue."

Childe nodded in understanding. He had noticed that Zhongli's mind wandering whenever he sees graze lily or a certain wine. So, he changed the topic, "what are you planning to do since you are retired? And, don't worry. This is just my curiosity."

Zhongli switched his focus from the flower to Childe, "well, I will continue to work as a consultant and enjoy more leisure time with friends. That reminds me, Aether said he will show me a new book he ordered. I wonder, is that what keeps them long?"

Childe chuckled lightly when the subject got to the twins, "guess you like being with them as much as I do."

Zhongli nodded his agreement, "indeed, I do. Let's just say it has been a while that I had learned a new emotion that I wasn't aware of before because of someone."

Childe smirked, noticing who he really meant, "Aether, huh? No doubt that he's a charming fellow with extensive knowledge in every field. I wonder if he is available for romance."

Sensing Zhongli's cold gaze, he smirked even wider that he managed to pinpoint the person he was interested in. After realizing Childe was just taunting him, Zhongli cleared his throat, "it's hard to believe your lie after all the things you wrote about Miss Lumine in your letters to home."

Childe's smirk fell, "what do you mean? How did- what did Teucer tell you?"

It's Zhongli's turn to act nonchalantly, "nothing much, just that you think of her as a pretty lady with appealing qualities for you and you want to take a break from work to spend more quality time with her."

Childe's eyes widened with a faint blush, "he told you?"

Zhongli shook his head, "no, he told everyone at the port."

"What?!", Childe suddenly yelled. Before he could ask more, they could hear the twins' running footsteps.

"Sorry, we are late!", Aether apologized as they reached their side.