Chapter 2

A/N

OE: This chapter is quite dull, so hope you don't mind.
If you guys have suggestions for the story, you could just comment. I will discuss it with my fellow writer SquirtleXd whether to add it in.

3rd POV

On this day, the world was shaken to its very core.

The disappearance of the "Natural Calamity" class monster "Storm Dragon Verudora" had been confirmed.

Though it may have been sealed 300 years ago, it was nonetheless a Natural Calamity-class monster.

There was still the possibility that it was feigning death, waiting to reappear as a new threat in another location.

However, it was only after 20 days had passed since the report of the missing dragon, before the Western Holy Church had declared that the "Storm Dragon Veldora" had completely ceased to exist.

Earl Nidol Maigam was beside himself with rage.

"How utterly ridiculous can this be!!!"

Remembering the words of the Cardinal not too long ago, he couldn't help bursting out in fury.

The words spoken by Cardinal Nicolas Schpeltas.

The mere memory of it aggravated the Earl.

"The "Storm Dragon Veldora" no longer threatens the lands. Thus, the payment of the emergency support funds we have been providing until now, will end as of today."

After saying that, the Cardinal had one-sidedly dismissed further talk.

That was the conclusion he had met, on top of being arbitrarily summoned, at the end of a 3 hours wait.

There was no doubt that the support funds up to this point were exceedingly helpful.

The territory under Earl Maigam was a vital defensive frontier due to it being located alongside the Great Forest of Jura, right by the borders of the Kingdom of Falmus.

However, this fact was by no means unrelated to the Western Holy Church that was based on land nearby.

Even while "Storm Dragon Veldora" was sealed, it remained a huge threat to the people.

But this held true for the demons of that region as well.

Or rather, it could be said that it had an even larger influence on them.

With the menace that was holding them at bay now gone, it would inevitably lead to a rise in the activity of demons.

There was now an even greater need than before to strengthen the guard at the frontier, yet it was at this timing that the Church had chosen to cut off their support.

This was what caused Earl Nidol Maigam to be so furious.

The Western Holy Church may have had their own reasons, but for Nidol, this had nothing to do with himself.

From here on, he had to consider how best to protect his territory.

To hire mercenaries you also need money.

As for the adventurers of the Freedom association, they couldn't be counted on when needed.

The Church was his last resort, but they had already refused to help.

And his final hope, the Kingdom.... Recalling the King's face, Nidol only despaired.

Even during the time "Storm Dragon Veldora" had existed, the Kingdom had not once sent any form of assistance whatsoever.